Real parameter given complex variable modulus

In summary: We can see that the real part of the equation is (t^2-1)/(t^2+1) and the imaginary part is -2t/(t^2+1). Setting the real part equal to a and the imaginary part equal to b, we get:a = (t^2-1)/(t^2+1)b = -2t/(t^2+1)Solving for t in terms of a and b, we get:t = (-a*b)/(a^2+b^2)Therefore, a real parameter t that satisfies the given equation is t = (-a*b)/(a^2+b^2).In summary, a real parameter t that satisfies the equation z
jubbles

Homework Statement

Suppose z is complex number with |z| = 1 (also assume that z is not 1 + 0*i)
Let z = a + b*i where a and b are real numbers.

Find a real parameter, t, such that

z = (t-i)/(t+i), where i = sqrt(-1)

Homework Equations

|z| = sqrt(a^2+b^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are given |z| = 1, this implies that a^2 + b^2 = (a+b*i)*(a-b*i) = 1.
Also, (t-i)/(t+i) can be expressed as [1/(t^2+1)]*[(t^2-1)+(-2*t)*i].

Despite my efforts, I end up at two deadends: I reduce an equation to a tautology like 0 = 0 or I reduce to an expression for t that involves i (thereby making t imaginary instead of real).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off find c(t),d(t) such that:
[tex]
c(t)+d(t)i=\frac{t-i}{t+i}
[/tex]
Then use the fact that c(t)^{2}+d(t)^{2}=1

jubbles said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are given |z| = 1, this implies that a^2 + b^2 = (a+b*i)*(a-b*i) = 1.
Also, (t-i)/(t+i) can be expressed as [1/(t^2+1)]*[(t^2-1)+(-2*t)*i].

Despite my efforts, I end up at two deadends: I reduce an equation to a tautology like 0 = 0 or I reduce to an expression for t that involves i (thereby making t imaginary instead of real).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Write

[tex]\frac{1}{t^2+1}\,\left[(t^2-1)+(-2t)i\right][/tex]

as

[tex]\frac{(t^2-1)}{t^2+1}-\frac{2t}{t^2+1}\,i\right][/tex]

1. What is a real parameter in relation to a complex variable modulus?

A real parameter is a constant value within a mathematical equation that affects the behavior of a complex variable modulus. It is typically represented by the letter "a" or "b" and can be adjusted to change the shape and position of the modulus on a complex plane.

2. How does a real parameter affect the modulus of a complex variable?

The real parameter determines the size and orientation of the modulus on a complex plane. A larger value for the real parameter will result in a larger modulus, while a smaller value will result in a smaller modulus.

3. Can a complex variable modulus have multiple real parameters?

Yes, a complex variable modulus can have multiple real parameters. Each parameter will affect a different aspect of the modulus, such as its size, shape, or position on the complex plane.

4. What is the purpose of using a real parameter in a complex variable modulus?

The use of a real parameter allows for more flexibility and control over the behavior of the modulus. It allows for adjustments to be made to the modulus without changing the underlying equation, making it easier to manipulate and analyze.

5. Are there any limitations to using a real parameter in a complex variable modulus?

While using a real parameter can provide more control over the modulus, it may also introduce more complexity to the equation. It is important to carefully consider the use of a real parameter and ensure that it aligns with the overall goals and objectives of the mathematical analysis.