1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really quick question about finding specific volume in thermodynamics

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Here is the situation, I have a Mollier Diagram(pressure-enthalpy diagram) for refrigerant R134. I had to draw a refrigeration cycle on the that find the specific volumes and enthalpies for each point. I read off the enthalpies at all 4 state points. Found the specific volumes for states 1 and 2 as they are in the superheated region where the specific volume lines contours are. But I don't know how to find the volumes at states 3 and 4.

I see state 3 lies on the saturated vapor line, so I think I should just use that specific volume as hf at the pressure.

State 4 lies at a point of known pressure and on a line where the quality(x) can be seen. To find v4, do I just use v4=vf+xvfg, or can this be somehow read off this diagram?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    v4=vf+xvfg is fine for the specific volume of state 4.

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

thanks then!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook