Really quick question about finding specific volume in thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation revolved around using a Mollier Diagram to draw a refrigeration cycle and find specific volumes and enthalpies for each point. The speaker had already found the specific volumes for states 1 and 2 in the superheated region, but was unsure how to find the volumes for states 3 and 4. It was suggested to use the saturated vapor line for state 3 and the equation v4=vf+xvfg for state 4.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
Here is the situation, I have a Mollier Diagram(pressure-enthalpy diagram) for refrigerant R134. I had to draw a refrigeration cycle on the that find the specific volumes and enthalpies for each point. I read off the enthalpies at all 4 state points. Found the specific volumes for states 1 and 2 as they are in the superheated region where the specific volume lines contours are. But I don't know how to find the volumes at states 3 and 4.

I see state 3 lies on the saturated vapor line, so I think I should just use that specific volume as hf at the pressure.

State 4 lies at a point of known pressure and on a line where the quality(x) can be seen. To find v4, do I just use v4=vf+xvfg, or can this be somehow read off this diagram?

Physics news on Phys.org
v4=vf+xvfg is fine for the specific volume of state 4.

thanks then!

1. What is specific volume in thermodynamics?

Specific volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a unit mass of a substance. It is commonly used in thermodynamics to describe the density of a substance at a given pressure and temperature.

2. How do you calculate specific volume?

To calculate specific volume, you need to know the mass of the substance and its volume. Then, divide the volume by the mass to get the specific volume. The units for specific volume are typically expressed in cubic meters per kilogram (m3/kg).

3. Why is specific volume important in thermodynamics?

Specific volume is important in thermodynamics because it helps to describe the behavior of a substance under different conditions of pressure and temperature. It is also used in various thermodynamic equations to calculate other properties of a substance, such as density, temperature, and pressure.

4. What is the difference between specific volume and density?

Specific volume and density are related but opposite properties. While specific volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a unit mass of a substance, density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a unit volume of a substance. In other words, specific volume is the inverse of density.

5. How does specific volume change with temperature and pressure?

Specific volume is affected by changes in temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the specific volume of a substance also increases, meaning it takes up more space for the same mass. On the other hand, as pressure increases, the specific volume decreases, as the substance becomes more compressed and takes up less space for the same mass.