Rear Wheel Torque Equation Confusion

In summary, the conversation is about the different equations for calculating rear wheel torque value for motorcycles. One equation uses the chain tension and tooth count ratio of the front and rear sprockets, while another equation uses the pitch radius of the sprockets. The group is unsure which equation is correct and is seeking clarification. One person provides the solution, stating that the pitch diameter and tooth count can both be used to find the reduction ratio. Another person jokingly suggests not giving away all the answers.
willeng
I found some differing equations on the internet than what I thought on how to arrive at the rear wheel torque value for Motorcycles, so I thought I had better ask here to make sure.
One site said Rear Wheel Torque = Chain Tension X Tooth Count Ratio (front & rear sprockets)
I was under the impression that the formula was:
Rear Wheel Torque = Chain Tension X (Rear Sprocket Pitch Radius/Front Sprocket Pitch Radius)
At first I thought both would work out the same but after measuring some things & doing the numbers there is quite a difference in the final outcome.

Not sure now what to think?

Any help would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You figure this out?

The answer is easy, since the pitch diameter and tooth count can both be used to find the reduction ratio:

Rear Sprocket Pitch Radius / Front Sprocket Pitch Radius
=
Rear Procket Tooth Count / Front Sprocket Tooth Count
=
Tooth Count Ratio
=
Pitch Radius Ratio
=
Reduction Ratio

Hey don't give him all the answers.

Why not?

: /

Last edited:

Related to Rear Wheel Torque Equation Confusion

1. What is a rear wheel torque equation?

A rear wheel torque equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the amount of torque (rotational force) required to move a vehicle's rear wheels. It takes into account factors such as the weight of the vehicle, the gear ratio, and the engine power.

2. Why is a rear wheel torque equation important?

A rear wheel torque equation is important because it allows engineers and mechanics to determine the necessary torque for a vehicle's rear wheels, which is crucial for its performance and safety. It also helps in designing and optimizing vehicle components such as the engine, transmission, and differential.

3. How is a rear wheel torque equation calculated?

A rear wheel torque equation is calculated by multiplying the engine torque by the gear ratio and dividing it by the wheel radius. The resulting value is the torque required at the rear wheels to move the vehicle.

4. Can a rear wheel torque equation vary for different types of vehicles?

Yes, a rear wheel torque equation can vary for different types of vehicles. This is because different vehicles have different weight, gear ratios, and engine power, which all affect the amount of torque needed to move the rear wheels.

5. What are some real-world applications of rear wheel torque equations?

Rear wheel torque equations are commonly used in the automotive industry for designing and optimizing vehicle performance. They are also important in motorsports, where precise calculations of rear wheel torque can make a difference in a race. Additionally, these equations are used in the development of electric vehicles to determine the necessary torque for the motor and battery system.