Finding λ in an Exponential Equation: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter annalise17
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around rearranging a formula to find an equation for λ. The formula in question was P2 / P1 = exp(- (z2 - z1)) / λ and it was suggested to differentiate and find the natural log of both sides, leading to the rearrangement λ = - Δz / ln(P2 / P1). There was some uncertainty about the terminology and notation, but it was ultimately concluded that this was the correct rearrangement.
annalise17

Homework Statement

I believe I need to rearrange this formula to find an equation for λ:

P2 / P1 = exp( - (z2 - z1)) / λ

Homework Equations

I think I need to differentiate and find the natural log of both sides then rearrange

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiate to: ln(P2 / P1) = ( - (z2 - z1) / λ

Rearrange to: λ = - Δz / ln(P2 / P1)

Does that look right? I appear to be able to calculate it...

Physics news on Phys.org
annalise17 said:

Homework Statement

I believe I need to rearrange this formula to find an equation for λ:

P2 / P1 = exp( - (z2 - z1)) / λ

Homework Equations

I think I need to differentiate and find the natural log of both sides then rearrange

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiate to: ln(P2 / P1) = ( - (z2 - z1) / λ

Rearrange to: λ = - Δz / ln(P2 / P1)

Does that look right? I appear to be able to calculate it...

Is this what you're meant to rearrange?
[tex]\frac{P_1}{P_2}=e^{-\frac{(Z_2 - Z_1)}{\lambda}}[/tex]

Also, what are you differentiating?

Hmm I may not be differentiating anything actually! Sorry, my maths is lacking quite a bit so I mix up my terminology. But yes, that looks right (although I have P1 and P2 the other way around, I'll check that) I didn't know how to input it on here so attempted it in linear form.

annalise17 said:
Hmm I may not be differentiating anything actually! Sorry, my maths is lacking quite a bit so I mix up my terminology. But yes, that looks right (although I have P1 and P2 the other way around, I'll check that) I didn't know how to input it on here so attempted it in linear form.

Well if that's what you were asked to rearrange (Yes I got the [itex]P_1[/itex] and [itex]P_2[/itex] mixed up :P) Then that is right.

1. What is the purpose of rearranging equations in science?

Rearranging equations allows scientists to manipulate and solve for different variables within a given equation. This is especially useful in experimental and theoretical studies where certain variables may need to be isolated or manipulated to understand their effects on the overall system.

2. How do exponentials play a role in rearranging equations?

Exponentials, or equations that contain variables raised to a power, are often used in science to model growth, decay, and other natural phenomena. Rearranging equations involving exponentials allows scientists to analyze and predict the behavior of these systems.

3. Can you rearrange any type of equation?

In theory, yes, any equation can be rearranged. However, some equations may be more complex and require advanced mathematical techniques to rearrange. It is important for scientists to have a strong understanding of algebra and calculus to effectively rearrange equations.

4. Is it always necessary to rearrange equations in science?

No, it is not always necessary to rearrange equations. Sometimes, an equation may already be in a form that is useful for the specific study or analysis being conducted. It is up to the scientist to determine if rearranging the equation would provide any additional insights or benefits.

5. Are there any limitations to rearranging equations?

There may be limitations to rearranging equations, such as when dealing with complex systems or non-linear relationships. In these cases, the equations may not be able to be rearranged in a meaningful way. Additionally, rearranging equations can sometimes lead to errors if not done correctly, so it is important for scientists to double-check their work and use appropriate mathematical techniques.