Rearranging equation to find back gate bias

• Thread starter OnceMore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias Gate
In summary, the conversation is about rearranging an equation for a solid state electronics class. The equation is given and the person is struggling with the power and other mathematical operations involved. They ask for help and someone suggests dividing both sides by 1.05 and simplifying the square root of 0.64. This helps the person to successfully rearrange the equation.
OnceMore
Hello,

I am having a bit of an issues rearranging an equation for my solid state electronics class. I seem to have a mental block with this sort of stuff, so I am hoping someone can help.

The equation is

0.34 = 1.05((0.64 + |VBS|)1/2 - (0.64)1/2)

I know the usual stuff, like + to a - when moving across the equals sign, so it is more the power and what have you.

Thanks in advance.

Seán

Physics news on Phys.org
OnceMore said:
Hello,

I am having a bit of an issues rearranging an equation for my solid state electronics class. I seem to have a mental block with this sort of stuff, so I am hoping someone can help.

The equation is

0.34 = 1.05((0.64 + |VBS|)1/2 - (0.64)1/2)

I know the usual stuff, like + to a - when moving across the equals sign, so it is more the power and what have you.

Thanks in advance.

Seán
Divide both sides by 1.05.
Simplify √0.64, and then add that amount to both sides.
Continue from there.

Thanks!

That did it ...for some reason, I was multiplying 1.05 by the bracket, and going from there ...which was just making things complicated.

Again, thanks!

Seán

What is the purpose of rearranging an equation to find back gate bias?

The purpose of rearranging an equation to find back gate bias is to determine the voltage applied to the back gate of a field effect transistor (FET). This voltage is critical in controlling the current flow through the FET and can greatly affect its performance.

Why is it important to know the back gate bias?

Knowing the back gate bias is important because it allows us to control the flow of current in a FET. By adjusting the back gate bias, we can change the conductivity of the channel between the source and drain terminals, thus affecting the overall performance of the FET.

What are the steps involved in rearranging an equation to find back gate bias?

The steps involved in rearranging an equation to find back gate bias are:
1. Identify the equation that relates the back gate bias to the other variables involved (e.g. drain current, source voltage).
2. Rearrange the equation to isolate the back gate bias variable on one side.
3. Plug in the known values for the other variables.
4. Solve for the back gate bias.

Are there any limitations to rearranging an equation to find back gate bias?

Yes, there can be limitations to rearranging an equation to find back gate bias. For instance, the equation may only hold true for certain conditions or may not take into account certain factors that can affect the back gate bias. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the equation before using it to determine the back gate bias.

What are some common mistakes when rearranging an equation to find back gate bias?

Some common mistakes when rearranging an equation to find back gate bias include:
- Forgetting to isolate the back gate bias variable on one side of the equation.
- Using incorrect values or units for the other variables.
- Not considering the limitations or assumptions of the equation.
It is important to double check all calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given equation and conditions.