Rearranging Exponential Curve Equation

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is trying to remember how to rearrange the equation for an exponential curve involving a capacitor and a resistor. They know they need to use the equation V = Vo e^-t/RC, but they are struggling to remember how to rearrange it. They have tried using the ln function on their calculator, but have not been able to get the correct answer of 3.14 seconds. Another person suggests "logifying" the equation by taking the natural logarithm of both sides, which should make it easier to rearrange. The original person is still struggling to understand and asks for further clarification.
mandos

Homework Statement

Hello. I'm afraid it's quite a simple and unexciting problem I have. Basically, I can't remember how to rearrange the equation for an exponential curve:

The capacitor has a capacitance of 0.63 mF and the resistance in the discharge circuit is
2.4 kΩ.

(i) Calculate the time constant of the discharge circuit. This I can do: -t = RC.
(ii) Show that it takes about 3 s to discharge the capacitor from 120 V to 15 V.

Homework Equations

V = Vo e^-t/RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember it's the above equation I need to use. And I remember it's to do with the "ln" button on my calculator. But I can't remember how, when or where I use it. I know it's meant to "get rid of" the e and make my -t/RC "un-square" themselves so I can rearrange the equation. Apologies for my terrible lack of physics vocabulary :P.

I've tried a combination of things, enclosing the whole equation in ln( ) but I can't get the right answer (which is 3.14 seconds) as I am not rearranging it properly.

I would appreciate any help anyone has.

Physics news on Phys.org
mandos said:
… Show that it takes about 3 s to discharge the capacitor from 120 V to 15 V.

V = Vo e^-t/RC

Hi mandos! :smile:

You're given V and V0, and you want to calculate t.

So just "logify" the whole equation :biggrin:

-t/RC = … ? :wink:

Hi, am sorry to be a pain but that makes no sense to me.

In my calculator, I try ln ((V*R*C)/(Vo)) and it gives me -1.66s.

mandos said:
Hi, am sorry to be a pain but that makes no sense to me.

In my calculator, I try ln ((V*R*C)/(Vo)) and it gives me -1.66s.

But you didn't "logify" …

ln(V) = ln(Vo e-t/RC) :wink:

1. What is the purpose of rearranging an exponential curve equation?

Rearranging an exponential curve equation can help make it easier to solve for a specific variable or to better understand the relationship between the variables involved in the equation.

2. How do I rearrange an exponential curve equation?

To rearrange an exponential curve equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as isolating the variable you want to solve for by moving other terms to the other side of the equation or using logarithms to simplify the equation.

3. Can rearranging an exponential curve equation change its meaning?

No, rearranging an exponential curve equation does not change its meaning. It simply reorganizes the equation to make it easier to solve or understand.

4. Is it possible to rearrange an exponential curve equation to have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the specific form of the exponential curve equation, it is possible to rearrange it to have multiple solutions. However, it is important to check the validity of each solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for rearranging exponential curve equations?

Some tips for rearranging exponential curve equations include using properties of exponents, factoring, and simplifying before rearranging. It can also be helpful to write out the steps of the rearrangement process to keep track of each step.