1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging Exponential Curve Equation

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. I'm afraid it's quite a simple and unexciting problem I have. Basically, I can't remember how to rearrange the equation for an exponential curve:

The capacitor has a capacitance of 0.63 mF and the resistance in the discharge circuit is
    2.4 kΩ.

(i) Calculate the time constant of the discharge circuit. This I can do: -t = RC.
    (ii) Show that it takes about 3 s to discharge the capacitor from 120 V to 15 V.

2. Relevant equations

V = Vo e^-t/RC

3. The attempt at a solution

I remember it's the above equation I need to use. And I remember it's to do with the "ln" button on my calculator. But I can't remember how, when or where I use it. I know it's meant to "get rid of" the e and make my -t/RC "un-square" themselves so I can rearrange the equation. Apologies for my terrible lack of physics vocabulary :P.

I've tried a combination of things, enclosing the whole equation in ln( ) but I can't get the right answer (which is 3.14 seconds) as I am not rearranging it properly.

I would appreciate any help anyone has.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mandos! :smile:

You're given V and V0, and you want to calculate t.

So just "logify" the whole equation :biggrin:

-t/RC = … ? :wink:
  4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    Hi, am sorry to be a pain but that makes no sense to me.

In my calculator, I try ln ((V*R*C)/(Vo)) and it gives me -1.66s.
  5. Jan 18, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you didn't "logify" …

ln(V) = ln(Vo e-t/RC) :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?