Rearranging Young's Modulus Equation for Force: Help Needed!

• Thread starter tommowg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phyics
In summary, to rearrange an equation to make a specific variable the subject, you can use the concepts of multiplying by the reciprocal and dividing both sides of the equation. It is important to use parentheses to clearly indicate the numerator and denominator of fractions.
tommowg

Homework Statement

Hi all I'm new and wondering if you could help me rearrange this equation for a Young Modulus question:

Homework Equations

Equation for Young Modulus is E = F*L/A*ΔL

* is multiplied
/ is divide

How can I make F the subject of this equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted but not very good at rearranging, I managed to get F = E*L/A*ΔL
but that is wrong I think.

All help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have [tex]a*b=c[/tex] then to make a the subject, you divide both sides by b to give [tex]\frac{a*b}{b}=\frac{c}{b}[/tex] and the b's cancel on the left side, so you have [tex]a=\frac{c}{b}[/tex]

If you have [tex]\frac{a}{b}=c[/tex] then multiply both sides by b to make a the subject, giving [tex]a=b*c[/tex]

All you have to do is apply these two ideas to your problem, and you should be set.

I've used your idea to come up with:

F = E/L*A*ΔL

Is this right?

Thanks.

tommowg said:

Homework Statement

Hi all I'm new and wondering if you could help me rearrange this equation for a Young Modulus question:

Homework Equations

Equation for Young Modulus is E = F*L/A*ΔL
The equation for Young's Modulus is incorrect. The correct version is:
[tex]E = \frac{F*L}{A*\Delta L}[/tex]

I don't doubt that this is what you meant, but when you write a fraction on a single line, you need parentheses to indicate what's in the numerator and what's in the denominator. A better way to write this equation would be E = (F*L)/(A*ΔL).

As you wrote it, the expression on the right side would be interpreted as
[tex]F \frac{L}{A} \Delta L[/tex]
tommowg said:
* is multiplied
/ is divide

How can I make F the subject of this equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted but not very good at rearranging, I managed to get F = E*L/A*ΔL
but that is wrong I think.

All help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Tom
To solve for F, multiply both sides of the equation by the reciprocal of the coefficient of F. The coefficient of F is L/(AΔL).

tommowg said:
I've used your idea to come up with:

F = E/L*A*ΔL

Is this right?

Thanks.

Depends, use parenthesis as Mark44 has suggested so I know what your answer actually is.

Related to Rearranging Young's Modulus Equation for Force: Help Needed!

1. What is the purpose of rearranging physics equations?

The purpose of rearranging physics equations is to manipulate and solve for different variables in order to better understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

2. How do you rearrange a physics equation?

To rearrange a physics equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction to move terms to different sides of the equation. The goal is to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation.

3. Why is it important to use correct units when rearranging physics equations?

Using correct units is crucial when rearranging physics equations because it ensures that the final answer is in the correct unit and is consistent with the laws of physics. It also helps to avoid errors and provides a better understanding of the physical quantities involved.

4. Can you rearrange any physics equation?

Yes, any physics equation can be rearranged as long as the mathematical operations used are valid and do not change the fundamental meaning of the equation. However, some equations may be more complex and require more steps to rearrange.

5. How can rearranging physics equations be useful in real-world applications?

Rearranging physics equations can be extremely useful in real-world applications as it allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to various physical phenomena. For example, it can help engineers design structures, predict the motion of objects, and understand the behavior of complex systems.