Astrophotography with New Sensor - Improved Alignment & Stabilization

In summary: I'm sticking with my 50mm.thanks Noel!In summary, Dave used a 50mm lens to capture the Milky Way and Noel used a 14mm lens to capture the Orion Nebula. Dave used 10s ISO 2000 and 14 minutes of integration time while Noel used 6s ISO 2000 and 14 minutes of integration time.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Back up and running; got these last weekend.

Composite_s_zpslw1d8b7a.jpg

400/2.8, 50 minutes total integration time, 10s ISO 2000 individual frames.

orion_14m_2s_zpspqfr5uzx.jpg

800/5.6, 14 minutes total, 6s ISO 2000 individual frames.

It's been an adjustment to the new sensor, my alignment technique had to improve by about 2x to eliminate residual drift; also the sony had in-camera stabilization which gave me another stop's worth of shutter time.

Likes DennisN, aamirza, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice stuff.
Is the top one Ursa Major?
The second one is what?

rootone said:
Is the top one Ursa Major?

no, that's M45, The Pleiades star cluster

rootone said:
The second one is what?

That's M42, the Orion Nebula ... it shouldn't really be that blue, that nebula has lots of red in it

Maybe Andy can let us know how he was doing the processing ?Dave

I struggle with colorimetrics- the sky is tinted red from light pollution, so I try and fix it by post-processing and normalizing the colors such that the sky is a neutral dark grey and bright stars are white, then bumping up the color saturation. I never get the same colors twice... those images do look 'bluer' than I recall setting them, tho.

See, it's pretty easy to alter the colors:

orion_14m_2.tif%20RGB_zps6hcuglwx.jpg

orion_14m_2.tif%20RGB-1_zpsfqvkiy4y.jpg

To be fair, I've been staying up late for the stars and getting up early for the moon:

DSC_2041s_zpsqnt3wdve.jpg

DSC_2042s_zpsmleigpcl.jpg

Likes davenn and fresh_42
Andy Resnick said:
See, it's pretty easy to alter the colors:

orion_14m_2.tif%20RGB_zps6hcuglwx.jpg

orion_14m_2.tif%20RGB-1_zpsfqvkiy4y.jpg
much more realistic and lots more detail :smile:Dave

Andy Resnick said:
400/2.8, 50 minutes total integration time, 10s ISO 2000 individual frames. ...

800/5.6, 14 minutes total, 6s ISO 2000 individual frames. ...

Andy, Nice photos, well done.
I'm quite new to this type of imaging, so wondering if you could elaborate on the meaning of these numbers / settings?

Is it: number of shots / f-stop / total time / shutter speed / ISO?

Regards,

Noel.

Lino said:
Andy, Nice photos, well done.
I'm quite new to this type of imaging, so wondering if you could elaborate on the meaning of these numbers / settings?

Is it: number of shots / f-stop / total time / shutter speed / ISO?

Sure- sorry for any confusion.

when I write, for example, '800/5.6', that means I used an 800mm focal length lens at an f/# of 5.6. Similarly. '10s ISO 2000' means each exposure lasted 10 seconds and the camera ISO was set to 2000, and I stacked individual frames to give a total exposure time of 50 minutes, or 14 minutes, or whatever.

How has your astrophotography experience been so far? There's a fair number of experts here who have helped me get better.

Likes davenn
Thanks Andy. I forgot about the focal length. That makes perfect sense.

My experience so far is ... limited. I spend an amount of time in a Dark Sky Reserve in the south west of Ireland (Kerry), which is fantastic. When the skies are clear, it is amazing, but given that it is the south west of Ireland, there aren't many good viewing night :). So great views, but lots of cloudy nights.

Regards,

Noel.

Likes davenn
Lino said:
Thanks Andy. I forgot about the focal length. That makes perfect sense.

My experience so far is ... limited. I spend an amount of time in a Dark Sky Reserve in the south west of Ireland (Kerry), which is fantastic. When the skies are clear, it is amazing, but given that it is the south west of Ireland, there aren't many good viewing night :). So great views, but lots of cloudy nights.

Regards,

Noel.

start off with some Milky Way pics ... camera, tripod and a wider angle lens, say 50mm or less, preferably down around 20mm give or take a bit
depending on your camera make and model, hopefully it can do long exposures up to 30 sec and are able to swap lenses (dSLR)

One great lens is the Samyang 14mm f2.8, produces really nice wide angle images
here's an example from a thread I started several months ago ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/milky-way-pic-with-new-lens.832236/

get out there and start imaging and show us your results :)
post the camera settings used ... focal length, f-stop, ISO, shutter speed
resize images to around 1000 pixels on the long side and compress to around 80 - 85%
to limit their physical kb size

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
start off with some Milky Way pics ... camera, tripod and a wider angle lens, say 50mm or less, preferably down around 20mm give or take a bit
depending on your camera make and model, hopefully it can do long exposures up to 30 sec and are able to swap lenses (dSLR)

One great lens is the Samyang 14mm f2.8, produces really nice wide angle images
here's an example from a thread I started several months ago ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/milky-way-pic-with-new-lens.832236/

get out there and start imaging and show us your results :)
post the camera settings used ... focal length, f-stop, ISO, shutter speed
resize images to around 1000 pixels on the long side and compress to around 80 - 85%
to limit their physical kb size

cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave and excellent photo on the other thread. I'm super impressed that you can get that type of result from a single image. I'll count that as a target to aim for :)

Regards,

Noel.

Likes davenn

1. How does the new sensor improve astrophotography?

The new sensor in astrophotography allows for higher sensitivity and resolution, resulting in clearer and more detailed images of distant objects in space. This improvement is due to advancements in technology and materials used in the sensor's design.

2. What is improved alignment in astrophotography?

Improved alignment refers to the process of accurately positioning and stabilizing the camera or telescope to capture images of celestial objects. With the advancements in sensor technology, alignment can now be done more precisely and efficiently, resulting in clearer and more accurate images.

3. How does stabilization affect astrophotography?

Stabilization is crucial in astrophotography as it reduces the effects of camera shake and keeps the image steady while capturing long exposures. The improved alignment and stabilization in the new sensor allow for longer exposures, resulting in better quality images with more details.

4. Can the new sensor be used for both amateur and professional astrophotography?

Yes, the new sensor can be used for both amateur and professional astrophotography. Its improved capabilities make it suitable for capturing high-quality images for both types of users.

5. Are there any limitations of using the new sensor in astrophotography?

Like any technology, the new sensor has its limitations. It may have a higher cost compared to older sensors, and it may also require specific equipment or software to fully utilize its capabilities. Additionally, some objects in space may still be too faint to capture with the new sensor, but it can still greatly improve the quality of images for most astrophotographers.