1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommendations for a Problem Solving Book

1. Aug 7, 2006 #1
    Anyone have any recommendations for a problem solving book (i.e. simple algebra word problems all the way up to Putnam)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

how to solve problems? (polya, how to solve it.) or a book of solved problems?
  4. Aug 7, 2006 #3
    yeah, like how to solve problems. Thanks for your opinions/feedback.
  5. Aug 7, 2006 #4
    Look up Titu Andreescu, he is my professor and the coach of US Maths team I believe.
  6. Aug 8, 2006 #5
    I read 'How to Solve It'; it's a wonderful book, but you won't appreciate it unless you already know it, and hence have no need of it. The best way to learn to solve problems is by solving them, I think.
  7. Aug 8, 2006 #6
    already know it? you mean the topics?
  8. Aug 8, 2006 #7
    How to Solve It poses a bunch of ideas about how to go about solving problems. However, if you are a math major, you probably know most of the ideas covered, but still the book is a good read.
  9. Aug 8, 2006 #8
    Check out www.artofproblemsolving.com

They have a pretty wide variety of books, mostly centred around problem solving. Although the books are more or less geared towards highschool students, I'm pretty sure they have some for undergraduates (ie a putnam book, etc)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?