Recommendations for a Problem Solving Book

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a problem solving book, with suggestions such as 'How to Solve It' by Polya and books by Titu Andreescu and artofproblemsolving.com. The importance of solving problems and the audience for different books is also mentioned.
courtrigrad
Anyone have any recommendations for a problem solving book (i.e. simple algebra word problems all the way up to Putnam)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
how to solve problems? (polya, how to solve it.) or a book of solved problems?

yeah, like how to solve problems. Thanks for your opinions/feedback.

Look up Titu Andreescu, he is my professor and the coach of US Maths team I believe.

I read 'How to Solve It'; it's a wonderful book, but you won't appreciate it unless you already know it, and hence have no need of it. The best way to learn to solve problems is by solving them, I think.

already know it? you mean the topics?

How to Solve It poses a bunch of ideas about how to go about solving problems. However, if you are a math major, you probably know most of the ideas covered, but still the book is a good read.

Check out www.artofproblemsolving.com

They have a pretty wide variety of books, mostly centred around problem solving. Although the books are more or less geared towards high school students, I'm pretty sure they have some for undergraduates (ie a putnam book, etc)

1. What makes a good problem solving book?

A good problem solving book should have clear and concise explanations of problem solving techniques, practical examples and exercises, and a logical and organized structure.

2. How do I know if a problem solving book is effective?

An effective problem solving book should have positive reviews and testimonials from readers, as well as evidence of real-life application and success in problem solving tasks.

3. What are some common problem solving techniques that should be included in a book?

Some common problem solving techniques that should be included in a book include brainstorming, root cause analysis, decision making techniques, and critical thinking skills.

4. Can a problem solving book be useful for both personal and professional situations?

Yes, a good problem solving book should provide strategies and techniques that can be applied to both personal and professional situations, as problem solving is a universal skill.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in problem solving to benefit from a problem solving book?

No, a good problem solving book should be accessible to readers of all levels, from beginners to more experienced problem solvers. However, some basic critical thinking skills may be helpful in understanding and applying the techniques presented in the book.