Recreating chebychev coefficient from an article

In summary, the conversation is about trying to recreate Chebychev coefficients using an initial value of X_0=1.853. The person tried to follow an iterative algorithm but got different numbers than the ones shown in the article. It is mentioned that the numbers calculated are not coefficients of polynomials, but rather the values of polynomial functions at that specific value of x. There is also confusion about where the numbers are used afterwards and the value of x used in the article. The conversation ends with a question about which coefficients to use for the next step.
dan_smith
Hello i need to recreate these chebychev coefficents given the initial value of X_0=1.853 as shown in the photo bellow.
i have tried to follow the iterrative algorithm shown in the photo bellow.
please help me understand where did i go wrong?

thanks

25fpq2x.jpg

2qwexbc.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dan_smith said:
please help me understand where did i go wrong?
What exactly went wrong?

mfb said:
What exactly went wrong?
if x_0=1.853 then
T_0=1
T_1=1.853
T_2=2*1.853*1.853-1
its not the same numbers that they get in the article

Thanks

What you calculate are not coefficients of polynomials, these numbers are the values of the polynomial functions at this value of x.

I don't understand where their numbers come from, but I also don't understand where they are used afterwards. I found the context here, page 19 ("206").

I also don't understand the value of x they got - WolframAlpha disagrees (using 180 instead of pi doesn't work either, but I guess the 180 comes from working in degrees).

Hello, Yes this is the article from which the example came from.
you are correct regarding the wolfram alfa calculation.assuming that their numbers are wrong
i tried to use matlabs commands for
g=chebyshevT([1 ,2, 3 ,4] , x) %first kind
[ x, 2*x^2 - 1, 4*x^3 - 3*x, 8*x^4 - 8*x^2 + 1]

g=chebyshevU([1 ,2, 3 ,4],x) %second kind
[ 2*x, 4*x^2 - 1, 8*x^3 - 4*x, 16*x^4 - 12*x^2 + 1]

what coefficients should i take for this step?

Thanks

1. How is Chebychev's coefficient calculated?

Chebychev's coefficient is calculated by dividing the difference between the mean and a specific data point by the standard deviation of the data set.

2. What is the purpose of recreating Chebychev's coefficient from an article?

The purpose of recreating Chebychev's coefficient from an article is to verify the results presented in the article and to potentially apply the coefficient to a different data set.

3. Can Chebychev's coefficient be used for any type of data set?

Yes, Chebychev's coefficient can be used for any type of data set as long as it follows a normal distribution.

4. Is Chebychev's coefficient affected by outliers in the data set?

No, Chebychev's coefficient is not affected by outliers in the data set as it only takes into account the mean and standard deviation of the data.

5. How does Chebychev's inequality relate to Chebychev's coefficient?

Chebychev's inequality states that for any distribution, a certain percentage of data will fall within a certain number of standard deviations from the mean. Chebychev's coefficient is used to calculate the exact percentage of data that falls within a certain range of standard deviations from the mean.