Clarifying Thyristor Rectification: Common Questions Answered

• Thread starter Steve619
  • Start date
In summary, current flows briefly opposite the voltage when the SCR is activated in a half-wave controlled bridge rectifier.
Steve619
Hello, I am new here so forgive any noob-ness,

I am doing a study on Thyristor rectification and have a few questions:

A single-phase, half controlled bridge rectifier cannot be an inverter?

-Unless it is connected to an inductive load, then it can?

A single-phase, half controlled bridge rectifier connected to an inductive load acts like a current generator as the stored inductor current means the thyristors won't turn off when the voltage changes direction?
Those are the questions and the main question to all of them is "are those statements correct?"

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
A picture would sure help.
Your words paint a picture in my mind but how am i to know it's the same picture as in your mind?

So i am reluctant to venture a guess.

My answer would be - "can't rightly say."

I can say this
http://protorit.blogspot.com/2013/02/single-phase-half-wave-controlled-rectifier-performance.html
upload_2016-2-18_22-15-38.png

As ambiguous as the labeling is on this chart we can glean something from it that relates to your questions

Simplify your thinking and go one step at a time:

At time α the SCR gets fired. Assume it's fired by a brief pulse so we don't have to worry about gate timing any more..
Current commences to flow in the load, PUSHED clockwise by Vs . That is building stored energy in the inductor.
Current's phase lags voltage because of inductance.
At time pi, when Vs has returned to zero, and shortly thereafter, note we still have current and in same direction.
That current is now being PULLED clockwise by inductance.
Stored energy of inductor is partly dissipated in the resistor and partly returned to the source.
When that energy is spent current ceases and SCR "commutates", that is it turns off.

So while it looks at first glance impossible, current does actually flow briefly opposite Vs and the SCR remains forward biased.It's a beautiful demonstration of the laws of Ohm Kirchoff and Lenz. It's exactly how we move the rods in my nuke plant(well, actually we have 3 phase half wave , no different though).

A question well stated is half answered. I hope above helps you rephrase yours.

Likes cnh1995

FAQ: Clarifying Thyristor Rectification: Common Questions Answered

1. What is the purpose of rectification questions?

Rectification questions are used to identify and correct errors or inaccuracies in data or research. They help to ensure the validity and reliability of scientific findings.

2. How do rectification questions differ from other types of questions?

Rectification questions are specifically focused on identifying and correcting errors, while other types of questions may be more open-ended or exploratory in nature.

3. When should rectification questions be used?

Rectification questions should be used whenever there is a possibility of error or inaccuracy in data or research. This could include during data collection, analysis, or interpretation.

4. What are some common types of errors that rectification questions can help to identify?

Rectification questions can help to identify errors such as sampling bias, measurement error, or incorrect data entry.

5. How can rectification questions be used to improve the quality of scientific research?

By identifying and correcting errors, rectification questions help to ensure the validity and reliability of scientific findings. This ultimately improves the overall quality and credibility of scientific research.

Back