Rectilinear motion of a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with mass m moving without friction and subject to a force F(x). The potential energy V(x) and kinetic energy T(x) are derived and it is mentioned that the initial velocity v0 is A√(k/2m). The solution involves solving for x(t) in order to find the kinetic energy.
Johnson
A particle of mass m moves without friction subject to a force F(x) =
−kx + [itex]\frac{kx3}{A2}[/itex], where k and A are positive constants. It is projected
from x = 0 to the positive x direction with initial velocity v0 =
A[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{2m}}[/itex]. Find:
(a) the potential energy V (x),
(b) the kinetic energy T(x),
(c) the turning points of the motion.

So I don't know if I am on the right track, I feel I am missing something. For V(x) (potential energy), i got:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] kx[itex]^{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] [itex]\frac{kx^{4}}{A^{2}}[/itex]

Then I found T(x) (kinetic energy) to be:
T[itex]_{o}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]kx[itex]^{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] [itex]\frac{kx^{4}}{A^{2}}[/itex]

I know I am given an initial V[itex]_{o}[/itex], but where would I plug that into find V(x) or T(x)?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Do I need to include other attempts?

Hi,
It seems to me you've done very well so far.
You did correctly work out, that under a central force expressible as:
[itex]
\vec{F} = -\vec{\nabla}{V}
[/itex]
So that in your case,
[itex]
V(x) = -\displaystyle \int_0^x{Fdx}
[/itex]
Here, under the constraints on the given question, it is okay to take the potential energy equal to some base/initial value of your choice(at x = 0), say even zero.
But recall that m*x''t = F(x), so it may be best to solve a differential equation for x(t), in order to find out the kinetic energy, which will be, in this case K = mx'(t)^2/2;
Try that,
Daniel

Related to Rectilinear motion of a particle

1. What is rectilinear motion of a particle?

Rectilinear motion of a particle is a type of motion in which the particle moves along a straight line with constant speed and direction.

2. What are the key principles of rectilinear motion?

The key principles of rectilinear motion include the particle moving in a straight line, with constant speed and direction, and no acceleration or deceleration.

3. How is rectilinear motion different from curvilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion is different from curvilinear motion in that the particle moves along a straight line in rectilinear motion, while in curvilinear motion, the path of the particle is curved.

4. What is the equation for calculating displacement in rectilinear motion?

The equation for calculating displacement in rectilinear motion is: displacement (d) = velocity (v) x time (t).

5. How can rectilinear motion be applied in real life?

Rectilinear motion can be applied in real life in various scenarios such as the motion of a car on a straight road, the motion of a ball falling straight down, or the motion of a person walking in a straight line.