Redirecting Input and Output in C.

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of redirecting input and output in a Windows operating system and how to do so using C programming language. It also includes a question about the usefulness of learning C streams for programming a PIC microcontroller and other engineering applications.
AK2
Is there a way you can redirect both input and output in a Windows operating system. The book I am using only explains how to do this in DOS. Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
programm.exe < input.txt > output.txt
Either enter that in a dosshell or modify the command of your shortcut

AK2 said:
Is there a way you can redirect both input and output in a Windows operating system. The book I am using only explains how to do this in DOS. Thanks.

From the title of this thread, it seems that you want to redirect I/O inside a program written in C. To have input come from somewhere other that stdin (the standard input device) or go to somewhere other than stdout (the standard output device), look at file I/O in C.

The basic idea for output is to open a file using fopen, write to it with fprintf or another file output function, and then close the file using fclose.

For input you'll want to use fscanf or another file input function.

You can also input or output to a string using sscanf and sprintf. Very helpful when you use fgets and you don't want the carriage return character, imo

Thanks for the responses. I will try out what you posted. I want to ask another question. will learning how to use C streams be useful for programming a pic microcontroller and other engineering applications.

1. What is redirecting input and output in C?

Redirecting input and output in C is a process of changing the source or destination of data from the default input and output devices to other sources or destinations.

2. How is input redirected in C?

In C, input can be redirected by using the freopen() function, which takes in the desired file as an argument and redirects the input to that file.

3. What is the purpose of redirecting input and output in C?

The main purpose of redirecting input and output in C is to allow the program to read input from a file instead of the user, and to write output to a file instead of the standard output device. This can be useful for automating tasks and for testing purposes.

4. How is output redirected in C?

Output can be redirected in C by using the freopen() function, similar to redirecting input. However, instead of using the "r" mode, the "w" mode is used to indicate that the file will be opened for writing.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to redirecting input and output in C?

One potential drawback is that it may make the code less portable, as it may not work on all systems or platforms. Additionally, if the file being redirected to is not accessible or does not exist, the program may crash or produce unexpected results. It is important to handle these cases properly in the code.