Redshift and the Friedmann metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Friedmann metric and raises questions about the usage of ##R_E## and the assumption that the cosmic expansion only affects space and not time. The metric is based on the assumption of homogeneity and isotropy of space, and the choice to use the proper time of comoving observers as the time coordinate is reasonable. The scale factor, ##a(t)##, is also mentioned as an assumption without a physical interpretation.
redtree
My discussion of the Friedmann metric comes from the derivation presented in section 4.2.1 of the reference: https://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~serguei/teaching/cosmology.pdf

I have a couple of simple questions on the derivation. The are placed at points during the derivation.I note the following for the Friedmann metric for ##k=0##:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\partial \textbf{s}^2 &= -\partial t^2 + a^2(t) \left[ \partial dr^2 + r^2 \left( \partial \theta^2 + \sin^2{\theta}\partial \phi^2 \right)\right]

\end{split}

\end{equation}Which I rewrite as follows:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\partial \textbf{s}^2 &= -\partial t^2 + a^2(t) \partial \vec{r}^2

\end{split}

\end{equation}
For a zero rest-mass object ##\partial \textbf{s}^2=0##, such that:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\partial t^2 &= a^2(t) \partial \vec{r}^2

\end{split}

\end{equation}Thus:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\partial t &= a(t) \partial \vec{r}

\end{split}

\end{equation}Such that:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\frac{\partial t}{a(t)} &= \partial \vec{r}

\end{split}

\end{equation}Thus, where ##t_E## denotes time at emission, ##t_O## denotes time at observation and ##R_E## denotes radial distance at emission:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\int_{t_E}^{t_O}\frac{\partial t}{a(t)} &= \int_{0}^{R_E}\partial \vec{r}

\end{split}

\end{equation}QUESTION: Why use ##R_E##? Isn't the distance traveled by the photon ##R_O##, where ##R_0 = R_E + \partial \vec{r}##?The derivation continues as follows for another photon emitted at ##t_E + dt_E## and observed at ##t_O + dt_O##, such that:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\int_{t_E+dt_E}^{t_O+dt_O}\frac{\partial t}{a(t)} &= \int_{0}^{R_E}\partial \vec{r}

\end{split}

\end{equation}QUESTION: Again, why use ##R_E##? Isn't the distance traveled for this photon ##R_O + \partial \vec{r}_O + \partial \vec{r}_E?## If ##R_O >> \partial \vec{r}_O + \partial \vec{r}_E##, then ##R_O + \partial \vec{r}_O + \partial \vec{r}_E \approx R_O##. I assume this is the logic.Continuing the derivation:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\int_{t_E+dt_E}^{t_O+dt_O}\frac{\partial t}{a(t)} - \int_{t_E}^{t_O}\frac{\partial t}{a(t)}&= 0

\end{split}

\end{equation}Where:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\int_{t_E+dt_E}^{t_O+dt_O}f(t) \partial t &= -f(t_E) \partial t_E+ \int_{t_E}^{t_O+dt_O}f(t) \partial t

\\

&=+f(t_O)\partial t_O - f(t_E) \partial t_E+ \int_{t_E}^{t_O}f(t) \partial t

\end{split}

\end{equation}Assuming ##f(t) = \frac{1}{a(t)}##:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\frac{\partial t_O}{a(t_O)} - \frac{\partial t_E}{a(t_E)} &=0

\end{split}

\end{equation}Such that:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\frac{\partial t_O}{\partial t_E} &= \frac{a(t_O)}{a(t_E)}

\end{split}

\end{equation}Assuming ##T_E = \partial t_E## and ##T_O = \partial t_O##:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\frac{T_O}{T_E} &= \frac{a(t_O)}{a(t_E)}

\end{split}

\end{equation}Given:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

1+z &= \frac{\lambda_O}{\lambda_E}

\\

&=\frac{T_O}{T_E}

\end{split}

\end{equation}Thus:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

1+z &= \frac{a(t_O)}{a(t_E)}

\end{split}

\end{equation}

Astronomy news on Phys.org
First of all, you should not be using ##\partial## to denote the differentials. There are many possible notations that are more or less standard, but that is not one of them.

To answer your questions, ##R_O = R_E + dr## makes very little sense. Note that ##R_E## is the comoving distance to the emitter, not a physical distance.

Edit: You can also find a different way to do the derivation (as well as the standard way) in my PF Insight.

I take your point regarding ##\partial##.

Given ##R_E## denotes the comoving distance, then it would be constant with the cosmological expansion, whereas the proper distance increases with the expansion. I don't understand why the integration of ##d\vec{r}## is over the interval of the comoving distance and not the proper distance. Isn't ##d\vec{r}## a small slice of the proper distance interval?

redtree said:
Isn't d→rdr→d\vec{r} a small slice of the proper distance interval?
No. It is an infinitesimal change in the comoving distance.

Such that ##a(t) d\vec{r}## is the change in proper distance. Got it.

Last edited:
I have one other question regarding the equation. Why the assumption that the cosmic expansion affects space but not time? Why not assume that it affects time and not space? Or both equally?

The FLRW metric is based on the assumption of space being homogeneous and isotropic and its scale depending on the time, that is what the scale factor is. You could reparametrise it using different coordinates but then your time would not be the proper time of a comoving observer.

It just seems both arbitrary and classical to assume that spacetime would expand and even inflate only in its spatial components. GR and SR affect both space and time. Why wouldn’t the spacetime expansion affect both as well? I’m not expecting an answer. I’m just commenting.

As I said in my previous post, it is just a coordinate choice (and a quite reasonable one at that) to use the proper time of comoving observers as the time coordinate. It is perfectly possible to make a different choice - it will not affect the physics - you will just spend more time interpreting your results than you would do otherwise. Hence, it is not arbitrary.

Even if it was arbitrary, it would not be strange in my opinion. The scale factor changes with time, but you don’t get more change in time per change in time.

Another assumption is that ##a(t)## is a scale factor associated with expansion. That is also an assumption. The math can be done without assuming a physical interpretation of ##a(t)##.

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from distant objects such as galaxies or quasars appears to be shifted towards longer, redder wavelengths. This is caused by the expansion of the universe, which stretches out the wavelengths of light as it travels through space.

2. How is redshift related to the Friedmann metric?

The Friedmann metric is a mathematical model used to describe the expanding universe. It predicts that as the universe expands, the distance between objects will increase, causing the wavelength of light to stretch and appear redder. This is known as the cosmological redshift and is a key component of the Friedmann metric.

3. How is the Friedmann metric used to study the universe?

The Friedmann metric is used to study the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. By measuring the redshift of light from distant objects, scientists can determine their distance from Earth and how fast they are moving away from us. This information can then be used to study the expansion rate of the universe and the distribution of matter within it.

4. Are there any limitations to the Friedmann metric?

Yes, the Friedmann metric is based on certain assumptions about the universe, such as its homogeneity and isotropy on large scales. These assumptions may not hold true in all cases, leading to potential limitations in the accuracy of the model. Additionally, the Friedmann metric does not account for the effects of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. How does redshift support the Big Bang theory?

Redshift is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory, as it provides observational proof of the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the distance between galaxies increases, causing their light to be redshifted. This supports the idea that the universe began as a dense, hot state and has been expanding ever since.