Convergence of a 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Sum

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a 2nd order perturbation theory question involving a sum that needs to be determined for convergence. The person asks for help in finding the solution and someone suggests using partial fractions decomposition to solve for A and B. The person thanks them for getting them started.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

This is a 2nd order perturbation theory question, but I've got it boiled down to the following sum, which I need to determine where (and if) it converges:

[tex]E_n^{(2)}=\sum_{n\not= m}\left[\frac{Sin^2\left(\frac{n\pi}{4}\right)Sin^2\left(\frac{m\pi}{4}\right)}{n^2-m^2}\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am to compare my analytic ("exact") solution to the second order perturbation, which comes out to the equation above multiplied by some constants. Apparently, all I have to do is sum the first few terms and I should be able to see it..but I'm not. To me it seems as though this sum is always equal to zero, since in for the example of the first first and second result:

For [itex]n=1,m=2[/itex]
[tex]E_n^{(2)}=-\frac{1}{6}[/tex]

and also

[itex]n=2,m=1[/itex]
[tex]E_n^{(2)}=\frac{1}{6}[/tex]

such that the first two terms sum to zero. I don't see how this would change for any higher terms. Any thoughts? I can give more detail of the problem if needed, but hopefully this is enough. Thanks

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an idea that might be helpful. The general term in your series satisfies:
[tex]\frac{-1}{n^2 - m^2}~<~\frac{sin^2(n\pi/4)~sin^2(m\pi/4)}{n^2 - m^2}~<~\frac{1}{n^2 - m^2}[/tex]

Furthermore, you can break the latter expression up by partial fractions decomposition:
[tex]\frac{1}{n^2 - m^2}~=~\frac{A}{n - m} + \frac{B}{n + m}[/tex]
and solve for A and B.

Hope this helps.

Mark44 said:
Here's an idea that might be helpful. The general term in your series satisfies:
[tex]\frac{-1}{n^2 - m^2}~<~\frac{sin^2(n\pi/4)~sin^2(m\pi/4)}{n^2 - m^2}~<~\frac{1}{n^2 - m^2}[/tex]

Furthermore, you can break the latter expression up by partial fractions decomposition:
[tex]\frac{1}{n^2 - m^2}~=~\frac{A}{n - m} + \frac{B}{n + m}[/tex]
and solve for A and B.

Hope this helps.

Gets me started, thanks!

1. What is the concept of "Reduce the stupid sum"?

The phrase "Reduce the stupid sum" is a call to action to simplify complex problems or situations and find the most efficient solution. It encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills to reduce unnecessary complexities.

2. Why is it important to "Reduce the stupid sum" in scientific research?

In scientific research, reducing the stupid sum allows for more accurate and precise results. By simplifying complex problems, researchers can focus on the most important factors and eliminate unnecessary variables, leading to more reliable conclusions.

3. How can "Reduce the stupid sum" benefit society?

By applying the concept of "Reduce the stupid sum" to societal issues, we can identify the root causes of problems and find more effective and efficient solutions. This can lead to improvements in various areas such as healthcare, education, and technology.

4. Can anyone apply the concept of "Reduce the stupid sum"?

Yes, anyone can apply the concept of "Reduce the stupid sum" in their daily lives, regardless of their background or profession. It is a mindset that encourages critical thinking and problem-solving, which can be beneficial in all aspects of life.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to "Reduce the stupid sum"?

While the concept of "Reduce the stupid sum" can be beneficial, it is essential to also consider the potential limitations and unintended consequences of simplifying complex problems. It is crucial to approach the concept with caution and critical thinking to avoid oversimplifying or overlooking important factors.