Reducing logarithms of factorials

In summary, the problem involves using Stirling's approximation twice to simplify the equation and solve for N.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

Part of a much bigger problem, but I am hung up on solving the following:

[tex]ln\left [ \left(\frac{N+n}{2}\right ) ! \right ] = \left ( \frac{N+n+1}{2}\right) \frac{ln(N+n)}{2}\right )[/tex]

I am trying to follow a proof in http://books.google.com/books?id=CD...on random walk&pg=PA205#v=onepage&q=&f=false" My confusion comes from eqn. 10.34. Clearly this is following the Stirling Approximation, where the associated substituted approximation is eqn. 10.33.

Homework Equations

The stirling approximation (Eqn. 10.33), as well as Eqns. 10.31 and 10.32.

The Attempt at a Solution

In trying to reduce the following:

[tex]ln\left [ \left(\frac{N+n}{2}\right ) ! \right ] [/tex]

I do not understand how I am to use the stirling approximation since it specifies the definition of [tex]ln(n!)[/tex], and not what I have above. Is there some identity that I am not remembering? I know that:

[tex]ln\left [ \left(\frac{N+n}{2}\right ) ! \right ] [/tex]

is NOT the same as

[tex]ln\left [ \frac{(N+n)!}{2!} \right ] [/tex]

But other than that I cannot remember a relevant identity. Thoughts?

IHateMayonnaise

EDIT: To solve use the Stirling's approximation twice. Nevermind :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello IHateMayonnaise,

To solve this problem, you can use Stirling's approximation twice. First, use it to approximate the factorial term in the left side of the equation:

ln\left [ \left(\frac{N+n}{2}\right ) ! \right ] \approx \left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right )ln\left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right ) - \frac{N+n}{2}

Then, use it again to approximate the term in the right side of the equation:

\left ( \frac{N+n+1}{2}\right) \frac{ln(N+n)}{2}\right ) \approx \left ( \frac{N+n+1}{2}\right) \left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right) - \frac{N+n}{2}

Now, you can simplify the equation by cancelling out the common terms (i.e. -\frac{N+n}{2}) and rearranging the remaining terms:

\left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right)ln\left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right ) = \left ( \frac{N+n+1}{2}\right) \left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right)

\Rightarrow ln\left ( \frac{N+n}{2}\right ) = \frac{N+n+1}{2}

Finally, you can solve for N by exponentiating both sides and simplifying:

\frac{N+n}{2} = e^{\frac{N+n+1}{2}}

\Rightarrow N = 2e^{\frac{N+n+1}{2}} - n

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a logarithm of a factorial?

A logarithm of a factorial is the power to which a given number (called the base) must be raised to produce the factorial of a given number. For example, the logarithm of 5 factorial (written as log(5!)) is the power to which the base 10 must be raised to produce the value of 120.

2. Why is it important to reduce logarithms of factorials?

Reducing logarithms of factorials is important because it simplifies complex expressions and makes them easier to work with. It also allows for easier comparison of values and can help in solving equations involving factorials.

3. How do you reduce logarithms of factorials?

To reduce logarithms of factorials, you can use the property of logarithms that states log(xy) = log(x) + log(y). This means that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each factor. This property can be applied to factorials as log(n!) = log(n) + log(n-1) + log(n-2) + ... + log(2) + log(1).

4. Can you provide an example of reducing logarithms of factorials?

Sure. Let's take the expression log(6!) as an example. Using the property mentioned above, we can rewrite this as log(6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1). Applying the property again, we get log(6) + log(5) + log(4) + log(3) + log(2) + log(1). This can then be further simplified by using the values of each logarithm from a logarithm table or by using a calculator.

5. Are there any other properties that can be used to reduce logarithms of factorials?

Yes, there is another property that states log(x/y) = log(x) - log(y). This means that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. This property can also be applied to factorials as log(n!/m!) = log(n) + log(n-1) + log(n-2) + ... + log(m+1).