1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reduction formula question (int by parts)

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]I_{n} = \int^{2}_{0} x^{n}e^{x} dx[/tex] where n is a positive integer. Use integration by parts to show
    that

[tex]
    2^{n}e^{2} - nI_{n-1}
    [/tex]

By first finding

[tex]I_{1} = \int ^{2}_{0} xe^{x} dx [/tex]
    find I2 and I3.

2. Relevant equations

I'm sure your all aware of the formula for Int by parts. We'll take the [tex]e^{x}[/tex] function as the one to integrate and the [tex]x^{n}[/tex] as the one to differentiate.

3. The attempt at a solution

So use integration by parts to find In:

[tex]x^{n}e^{x} - n\int^{2}_{0}x^{n-1}[/tex]

Well that's
    [tex]x^{n}e^{x} - nI_{n-1}[/tex]
    is it not?

So now put the limits in

[tex][x^{n}e^{x} - nI_{n-1}]^{2}_{0}[/tex]

[tex][2^{n}e^{2} - nI_{n-1}] - [ - nI_{n-1}][/tex]
    but that's isn't right because I'm getting no [tex] nI_{n-1}[/tex] because they cancel!

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks
    Thomas

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The step is correct but neither of them represent [itex]I_n[/itex]. The Integration by parts formula for definite integrals is [tex]\int^b_a u(x) \frac{dv(x)}{dx} dx = u(b)v(b)-u(a)v(a) - \int^b_a v(x) \frac{du(x)}{dx}[/tex].

You have put in the limits of integration for the second term, but not the first.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You omitted part of the statement above. Show that 2ne2 - nIn - 1 equals what or does what?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook