Solving a Reduction of Order ODE with Initial Conditions | Math Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation y'' -y' e^{y'^2-y^2} = 0 with initial conditions y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = 0. The attempt at a solution involved using the substitution y' = p and y'' = p'p, but resulted in an unintegrable expression. The conversation also considers the solution y = 1 and discusses potential methods for proving it as the only solution.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]
y'' -y' e^{y'^2-y^2} = 0
[/tex]

y(0) = 1
y'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to use it.
If I use the substituion y' = p, and y'' = p'p I need to integrate [itex]e^{y^2}[/itex] which is unintegratable. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to your DE and initial conditions, what is [itex]y''(0)[/itex]? How about [tex]\left.\frac{d^n y}{dx^n}\right|_{x=0}[/tex] ? What might you expect the solution to be if all the derivatives are zero at some point? Can you prove that is the only solution?

I get what you're trying to say - that the solution is y=1.
I don't know how to prove it though.

What is a reduction of order ODE?

A reduction of order ODE is a method used to solve a second-order differential equation by converting it into a first-order differential equation. This involves substituting one of the dependent variables with a new function and then solving for that function.

When is a reduction of order ODE used?

A reduction of order ODE is typically used when the coefficients of a second-order differential equation are not constant or when it is difficult to find an explicit solution. It is also useful when solving boundary value problems or systems of differential equations.

What is the process for using reduction of order ODE?

The process for using reduction of order ODE involves identifying the dependent variable to be substituted, finding a suitable substitution function, and then solving the resulting first-order differential equation using standard methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

What are the advantages of using reduction of order ODE?

Reduction of order ODE can simplify the process of solving a second-order differential equation, making it easier to find a solution. It can also be used to solve more complex problems that would be difficult to solve using other methods.

What are some common mistakes when using reduction of order ODE?

Some common mistakes when using reduction of order ODE include choosing an incorrect substitution function, not properly isolating the substituted variable, and forgetting to check for any potential singularities in the resulting first-order differential equation.