?Ref for Cutkosky cutting rules

In summary, Cutkosky cutting rules can be used to identify the absorptive part of a 1- or 2-loops diagram. However, this technique is not as popular as it was in the past, and may require some trial and error to find suitable references.
mjsd
Homework Helper
I am wondering whether someone can suggest a good ref or two (preferrably with worked example) on how to use Cutkosky (or whatever it is called) cutting rules in OFT to help pick out the absorptive part of a 1- or 2-loops diagram. I have already tried Peskin and Schroder, which is good only up to a certain level.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Analytic S Matrix by Eden et al may be good book for you!

mjsd said:
I am wondering whether someone can suggest a good ref or two (preferrably with worked example) on how to use Cutkosky (or whatever it is called) cutting rules in OFT to help pick out the absorptive part of a 1- or 2-loops diagram. I have already tried Peskin and Schroder, which is good only up to a certain level.

thanks in advance

I have looked at about a dozen QFT and particle physics books I have and I have found nothing signifcant (i.e. it's even less than P&S), unfortunately.

it seems that these rules aren't that "popular" these days... apparently, before I posted this a while back I have already spoken to professors here at my uni...and because I couldn't find anything useful for my task back then... I asked the forum...

but thanks anyway... sometimes one just have to learn things the hard way... eg. trial and error

PRB147 said:
Analytic S Matrix by Eden et al may be good book for you!

thanks will check that out too

There's a very old Benjamin book, S-Matrix Theory of Strong Interactions, by Geoffrey Chew(1961), which in addition to discussing singularities and absorptive parts of diagrams, reprints two key papers on the subject -- Cutkosky's paper on singularities and Landau's paper on vertex analytic properties. Availability? See Amazon,...

The basic idea comes from the notion of pairs of Hilbert Transforms -- Dispersion relations if you will. Check out the Kramers-Kronig expression for dialectric constants, basically a Hilbert transform. An overly simplified approach is to note that

1/(X + ie) = - i delta(x) +P(1/x)

where P indicates the principal part, which is the basis for Hilbert Transforms.

More recent discussions can be found in Chap. 10 of Weinberg's QFT, and F. Gross's Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory.

This stuff was big in the 1960s, part of the "anti-field theory" approach of Chew and the S-Matrix gang. But Gell-Man and his quarks,symmetries, and the field theory approaches won the day.

Sorry to be so sloppy, but it's been a while since I've thought about absorptive parts and the like.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

thanks, Reilly.

Sorry to be so sloppy, but it's been a while since I've thought about absorptive parts and the like.

that's a typical response I get from the older academics here...:smile:.. the young ones? usually say they've never used it nor looked into it closely.

1. What is Cutkosky cutting rule?

Cutkosky cutting rule is a mathematical technique used in perturbative quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of Feynman diagrams. It provides a systematic way to reduce the number of integrals needed to evaluate a given Feynman diagram, making the calculations more manageable.

2. Who developed Cutkosky cutting rule?

Cutkosky cutting rule was developed by American theoretical physicist Claude Cutkosky in the 1960s. He was one of the pioneers in the development of perturbative quantum field theory and his work has been widely used in the field of particle physics.

3. What is the purpose of using Cutkosky cutting rule?

The main purpose of using Cutkosky cutting rule is to simplify the calculation of Feynman diagrams and make them more manageable. This allows for more efficient and accurate predictions of particle interactions in quantum field theory.

4. How does Cutkosky cutting rule work?

Cutkosky cutting rule works by exploiting the analytic properties of the integrands in Feynman diagrams. It involves cutting internal propagators in the diagrams and using Cauchy's residue theorem to express the integrals in terms of simpler ones. This reduces the complexity of the calculations and allows for easier evaluation.

5. What are the limitations of Cutkosky cutting rule?

While Cutkosky cutting rule is a powerful tool for simplifying Feynman diagram calculations, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to diagrams that have a finite number of loops and external particles, and it cannot be used for diagrams involving massless particles. Additionally, it may lead to incorrect results if used incorrectly or in certain cases where other techniques are more suitable.