Referesher on math for solid state

In summary, the speaker is a second year graduate student in physical chemistry who did not take many math courses during their undergraduate years. They are now struggling in their graduate classes due to lack of mathematical background and are looking for a quick way to catch up. They audited a linear algebra class and are now seeking a more streamlined approach to re-familiarize themselves with useful concepts and proofs. They are open to suggestions for a good book or workbook to practice with.
excalibur313
Hi Everyone,
I am a second year graduate student in physical chemistry at a top tier university. As an undergrad, I took Calculus 1-3 during my first two years, but then I didn't take any more because it wasn't required for my major and I was told that I didn't really need it. (I just took lots of physical chemistry classes.) Upon getting to graduate school and realizing that physical chemistry here really means solid state physics and quantum mechanics, I am immensely regretting not taking more math and I was curious the fastest way to get up to speed. I audited a linear algebra class which helped a lot, but I notice that my graduate classes discuss math in such an intuitive way that I have trouble keeping up. More specifically, what I mean is that it isn't really like they are covering subjects I haven't taken, but they are just so much more well versed at it. An example might be asking us to prove some geometry thing, but they will just whip through all these different trig identities that I either never saw or it was such a long time ago that I don't remember.
I was curious if there was a good book or work book that could allow me to re familiarize myself with all the useful concepts and proofs that are often used in solving science problems. I really would prefer not to chug through my old calculus book for example, but want something streamlined so I can see it all in front of me and practice a bunch of problems. Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential equations, both ordinary and partial, Linear algebra, complex variables...

A good undergrad course in math methods will be the best way to catch up, look into it.

Hi there,

It's great to see that you are taking the initiative to brush up on your math skills for your graduate studies in physical chemistry. Solid state physics and quantum mechanics do require a strong foundation in math, so it's understandable that you are feeling a bit behind.

Firstly, I would recommend talking to your professors or academic advisors for specific recommendations on books or resources that can help you with the math concepts you are struggling with. They may have some specific suggestions based on your courses and areas of study.

In terms of general suggestions, I would recommend looking into textbooks or workbooks that focus on applied math or mathematical methods for physical sciences. These types of resources often provide a more streamlined and practical approach to math, rather than a purely theoretical one.

Additionally, you can also look into online resources such as Khan Academy or Coursera, which offer free courses and tutorials on various math topics. These can be a great way to review and practice concepts at your own pace.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from your professors and peers. They can provide valuable insight and guidance on how to approach and solve math problems in the context of your field of study.

Best of luck with your studies!

Related to Referesher on math for solid state

1. What is solid state in terms of math?

Solid state refers to the study of the properties and behavior of matter in a solid state, using mathematical models and principles to understand and describe the physical phenomena involved.

2. Why is it important to have a refresher on math for solid state?

Having a solid understanding of math is crucial for studying and analyzing solid state phenomena, as many of the concepts and equations involved are based on mathematical principles. A refresher on math for solid state can help ensure a stronger foundation for further learning and application.

3. What are some key mathematical concepts used in solid state?

Some key mathematical concepts used in solid state include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistical mechanics. These are used to describe and analyze properties such as crystal structures, thermodynamics, and electronic properties.

4. How can I improve my math skills for solid state?

Practicing and reviewing fundamental mathematical concepts, as well as taking on challenging math problems and exercises, can help improve your math skills for solid state. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or scientists in the field.

5. Are there any resources available for a refresher on math for solid state?

Yes, there are several resources available such as textbooks, online courses, and tutorials that specifically focus on math for solid state. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer workshops or seminars on this topic that can be beneficial for learners.