Reflection (intrinsic and characteristic impedance effects)

In summary, the expert explains that in a transmission line, reflections occur at the boundary due to mismatched characteristic impedances between two media with different geometries, even if their material parameters are the same. However, it is possible to obtain a resistive source impedance in certain cases. The expert also clarifies that the ratio of diameter and spacing must be the same for the E/H ratios to be matched.
iVenky
Do we have reflection when the intrinsic impedance η=E/H between two media are matched but not necessarily the characteristic impedance (assuming a transmission line)?

Basically, I have a case here shown below
upload_2018-12-27_10-5-58.png

I have two parts with different geometries (this may not be a transmission-line, if you want you can assume an equivalent structure for a parallel line to get a transmission-line). The material parameters μ, ε are the same between the two media but their geometry is different. Do we still have a reflection at the boundary in this case? (does the boundary condition result in a reflection?)

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-27_10-5-58.png
    upload_2018-12-27_10-5-58.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 752
Science news on Phys.org
Allow me to talk in terms of transmission lines, and let me assume they have resistive characteristic impedances Z1 and Z2.
LIne 2 is shown as transmitting energy to the right, so we assume it is terminated at the right hand edge with a matching resistor so there are no reflections. Alternatively it might be very long, so reflected energy is absorbed.
Line 2 it therefore presents a resistive input impedance equal to its characteristic impedance, Z2. It looks like a resistor.
Line 1 has different characteristic impedance to Z2, so it will always be mismatched and will have standing waves. There is always reflection at the boundary.
It is possible to obtain a resistive source impedance into line 1 for lengths where line 1 is resonant (quarter or half wave in length), but line 1 itself will always have standing waves, showing it is mismatched.
It is possible to insert a matching device at the junction, so that line 1 sees a ratio of E and H equal to its characteristic impedance, but that is not, I think, your question.

Likes iVenky
tech99 said:
Allow me to talk in terms of transmission lines, and let me assume they have resistive characteristic impedances Z1 and Z2.
LIne 2 is shown as transmitting energy to the right, so we assume it is terminated at the right hand edge with a matching resistor so there are no reflections. Alternatively it might be very long, so reflected energy is absorbed.
Line 2 it therefore presents a resistive input impedance equal to its characteristic impedance, Z2. It looks like a resistor.
Line 1 has different characteristic impedance to Z2, so it will always be mismatched and will have standing waves. There is always reflection at the boundary.
It is possible to obtain a resistive source impedance into line 1 for lengths where line 1 is resonant (quarter or half wave in length), but line 1 itself will always have standing waves, showing it is mismatched.
It is possible to insert a matching device at the junction, so that line 1 sees a ratio of E and H equal to its characteristic impedance, but that is not, I think, your question.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean to say that E/H ratios of two lines aren't matched if the dimensions are different? I was always thinking that the source of reflection was the mismatch of E/H ratio and the boundary condition. But, I read recently in a book that you can have same E/H ratios but different characteristic impedance, which may depend on dimension of the line, and this can result in reflections. Hence the confusion.

iVenky said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean to say that E/H ratios of two lines aren't matched if the dimensions are different?
Yes. The ratio of diameter and spacing needs to be the same (assuming the same dielectric).

Likes iVenky
tech99 said:
Yes. The ratio of diameter and spacing needs to be the same (assuming the same dielectric).
Thanks now that answers my question

1. What is reflection in terms of intrinsic and characteristic impedance effects?

Reflection is the phenomenon that occurs when a wave encounters a change in impedance along its propagation path. Intrinsic impedance is a material property that determines how easily a wave can travel through a medium, while characteristic impedance is the ratio of voltage to current in a transmission line. Reflection can happen when there is a mismatch between the intrinsic and characteristic impedances, causing part of the wave to be reflected back.

2. How does reflection affect the performance of electronic devices?

Reflection can cause signal degradation, distortion, and loss of power in electronic devices. This is especially important in high frequency applications where the wavelengths are small and even small reflections can cause significant interference. Reflection can also lead to standing waves, which can cause resonance and damage to the device.

3. What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic reflection?

Intrinsic reflection occurs when there is a mismatch in impedance between two materials within a single medium, such as a transmission line. Extrinsic reflection, on the other hand, happens when there is a mismatch between the medium and an external component, such as a connector or antenna. Both types of reflection can cause signal loss and interference.

4. How can reflection be minimized?

Reflection can be minimized by using components with matching impedances, such as impedance-matched connectors and cables. Proper termination and impedance matching techniques can also help reduce reflection. Additionally, using materials with lower intrinsic impedance can also help minimize reflection.

5. What are some applications of controlling reflection in electronic systems?

Controlling reflection is crucial in many electronic systems, especially those involving high frequency signals. In wireless communication systems, controlling reflection is important for maximizing signal strength and minimizing interference. In radar systems, reflection control is crucial for accurate detection and measurement. It is also important in high-speed data transmission systems, where reflection can cause data errors and signal degradation.