Reflexive relation question

V1 and V2. That's the same as saying "f" is an automorphism of V1. And the reflexive property of "=" in the congruence of integers allows us to write A=B (mod K) as A-A = 0 (mod K) which is equivalent to A= A (mod K) (which is the reflexive property of congruence). The reflexive property of the "=" relation does not say anything about other isomorphisms between V1 and V2. That's because the reflexive property of "=" is a relation between two numbers and the reflexive property of "is isomorphic to" is a relation between two vector spaces.
member 587159
Hello all. I have a question about a reflexive relation.

Consider ##1_V : V \rightarrow V## with ##V## a vector space. Obviously, this is an isomorphism. My book uses this example to show that V is isomorphic with V (reflexive relationship). However, suppose I have a function ##f: V\rightarrow V## and this function is not ##1_V## but the function is an isomorphism too. Does that prove the reflexivity too? I do understand that using the identityis the easiest way, though.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isomorphism of two vector spaces is an equivalence relation, which means it is reflexive, as well as transitive and symmetric. So yes, if a vector space has an isomorphism to itself (which is called an automorphism) that is not the identity, that isomorphism is a reflexive relation.

An example of a non-identity isomorphism of a vector space is the map from ##\mathbb R^2## to itself that switches coordinates, mapping (x,y) to (y,x).

Likes member 587159
Math_QED said:
Hello all. I have a question about a reflexive relation.

Consider ##1_V : V \rightarrow V## with ##V## a vector space. Obviously, this is an isomorphism. My book uses this example to show that V is isomorphic with V (reflexive relationship). However, suppose I have a function ##f: V\rightarrow V## and this function is not ##1_V## but the function is an isomorphism too. Does that prove the reflexivity too? I do understand that using the identityis the easiest way, though.

Thanks in advance.
Isomorphisms define an equivalence relation, so especially they are reflexive.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
Isomorphisms define an equivalence relation, so especially they are reflexive.

Define? My book shows that it must be an equivalence relation by showing that

1) ##1_V## is an isomorphism
2) ##f^{-1}## is an isomorphism
3) ##f: V \rightarrow W, g: W \rightarrow X## isomorphisms, then ##g \circ f: V \rightarrow X## isomorphism

Likes fresh_42
andrewkirk said:
Isomorphism of two vector spaces is an equivalence relation, which means it is reflexive, as well as transitive and symmetric. So yes, if a vector space has an isomorphism to itself (which is called an automorphism) that is not the identity, that isomorphism is a reflexive relation.

An example of a non-identity isomorphism of a vector space is the map from ##\mathbb R^2## to itself that switches coordinates, mapping (x,y) to (y,x).

Yes but to show that it is an equivalence relation, I have to show that it is transitive, reflexive and symmetric first, right?

Yes. Have you tried doing that? Which of the three have you managed?

EDIT: Actually, on reflection, we need to be a bit careful about what the equivalence relation is on. Isomorphism is an equivalence relation on vector spaces so, writing 'is isomorphic to' by ##\cong## we have

1. ##V\cong V## (reflexivity)
2. ##U\cong V\Rightarrow V\cong U## (symmetry)
3. ##U\cong V\wedge V\cong W\Rightarrow U\cong W## (transitivity).

This all becomes a bit trivial when we are talking about maps from a vector space to itself.

Likes member 587159
andrewkirk said:
Yes. Have you tried doing that? Which of the three have you managed?

All of them. But my question is:

Is it nessecary to use ##1_V## for reflexivity, or can I use an other automorphism to show the reflexitivity "V is isomorphic with V" for all vector spaces V?

Using the identity, is obviously the easiest way.

Math_QED said:
Define? My book shows that it must be an equivalence relation by showing that

1) ##1_V## is an isomorphism
2) ##f^{-1}## is an isomorphism
3) ##f: V \rightarrow W, g: W \rightarrow X## isomorphisms, then ##g \circ f: V \rightarrow X## isomorphism
"Define", because "is isomorphic" establishes an equivalence relation, but you could define other relations. So in the end, the question is, how the relation is defined. E.g. the relation between two vector spaces doesn't have to be a linear map.
Math_QED said:
Yes but to show that it is an equivalence relation, I have to show that it is transitive, reflexive and symmetric first, right?
Yes.

Likes member 587159
Yes, you can use any automorphism, not just the identity. However, for some vector spaces there may be no automorphisms other than the identity. So it's safest to use the identity because it's the one automorphism that we know every vector space, of any kind whatsoever, must have.

Likes mathwonk and member 587159
fresh_42 said:
"Define", because "is isomorphic" establishes an equivalence relation, but you could define other relations. So in the end, the question is, how the relation is defined. E.g. the relation between two vector spaces doesn't have to be a linear map.

Yes.

andrewkirk said:
Yes, you can use any automorphism, not just the identity. However, for some vector spaces there may be no automorphisms other than the identity. So it's safest to use the identity because it's the one automorphism that we know every vector space, of any kind whatsoever, must have.

Okay. I get it now. Thank you both.

Math_QED said:
However, suppose I have a function ##f: V\rightarrow V## and this function is not ##1_V## but the function is an isomorphism too. Does that prove the reflexivity too?

That's an interesting question. When we say two vectors spaces are isomorphic, we mean (by definition) that there exists an at least one isomorphism between them. This does not rule out the possibility that there could be more than one isomorphism between them.

The property of "reflexivity" can be interpreted as a property of the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2" or it could be interpreted (differently) as a property of a particular isomorphism - i.e. " f is an isomorphism between V1 and V2" can be viewed as the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2 with respect to the mapping f" ( - similar to attaching "mod K" to the relation "=" in the congruence of integers A=B (mod K) ).

There is a minor technical distinction between the proofs of reflexive property for those two interpretations of "is isomorphic to".

If you want to prove the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2" is a reflexive, the argument needs to begin with the step like: "By (that) definition of isomorphic there exists at least one mapping g that is an isomorphism between V1 and V2".

If you want to prove the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2 with respect to the isomorphism f" is reflexive, by (that) definition of isomorphic, the isomorphism "f" is handed to you.

Likes member 587159 and fresh_42
Stephen Tashi said:
That's an interesting question. When we say two vectors spaces are isomorphic, we mean (by definition) that there exists an at least one isomorphism between them. This does not rule out the possibility that there could be more than one isomorphism between them.

The property of "reflexivity" can be interpreted as a property of the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2" or it could be interpreted (differently) as a property of a particular isomorphism - i.e. " f is an isomorphism between V1 and V2" can be viewed as the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2 with respect to the mapping f" ( - similar to attaching "mod K" to the relation "=" in the congruence of integers A=B (mod K) ).

There is a minor technical distinction between the proofs of reflexive property for those two interpretations of "is isomorphic to".

If you want to prove the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2" is a reflexive, the argument needs to begin with the step like: "By (that) definition of isomorphic there exists at least one mapping g that is an isomorphism between V1 and V2".

If you want to prove the relation "V1 is isomorphic to V2 with respect to the isomorphism f" is reflexive, by (that) definition of isomorphic, the isomorphism "f" is handed to you.

My book says that V is isomorphic to W if ##f: V \rightarrow W## is an isomorphism.

Math_QED said:
My book says that V is isomorphic to W if ##f: V \rightarrow W## is an isomorphism.

Is that a direct quote of the definition? Or does the books say "V is isomorphic to W if and only there exists an isomorphism ##f:\rightarrow W##" ?

If it doesn't mention "there exists" then what "##f##" is it talking about? - one that was mentioned in a preceeding sentence ?

Likes member 587159
Stephen Tashi said:
Is that a direct quote of the definition? Or does the books say "V is isomorphic to W if and only there exists an isomorphism ##f:\rightarrow W##" ?

If it doesn't mention "there exists" then what "##f##" is it talking about? - one that was mentioned in a preceeding sentence ?

No, the definition from my book says:

A bijective linear function is an isomorphism. If there exists an isomorphism between 2 vector spaces V and W, we say that these two vector spaces are isomorphic.

Math_QED said:
A bijective linear function is an isomorphism.
This defines isomorphisms in general.
If there exists an isomorphism between 2 vector spaces V and W, we say that these two vector spaces are isomorphic.
And this defines a special relation between vector spaces. Namely the relation given / established / defined by the existence of some isomorphism.

So ##R(V,W) \Longleftrightarrow \exists \; f\, : \, V \rightarrow W \text{ such that } f \text{ is an isomorphism }##.

##R## is also an equivalence relation (reflexive, symmetric, transitive) and ##f = id_V## an example (that surely always exists, regardless of the nature of ##V##) to prove reflexivity.

If a certain ##f_R## had been part of the definition of ##R##, then things would have been more complicated. E.g. ##f_R \, : \, V \rightarrow W## with ##V \neq W## would have removed all of the three properties from ##R##. In the case of ##V = W##, then ##R## would have been a relation among the elements of (this single) ##V##, which could have any (or none, or all) of the properties. In this case ##f_R## even doesn't need to be a function.

This explains, that the essential part is the definition of ##R## and the quantifier at ##f## in it.
Also important is the domain of the relation ##R##. In your case it is a relation on the set of vector spaces.
A relation on a single vector space (a certain set ##V##) is something else.

Likes member 587159
A rather different interpretation of the original question can be given in light of the fact that any subset of V x V defines a relation on the set underlying V.

Any mapping

f: V → V​

gives rise to its graph:

G(f): {(x, y) ∈ V×V | y = f(x)},​

which in turn defines a relation ~

given by

x ~ y ⇔ (x, y) ∈ G(f),​

which is therefore equivalent to saying y = f(x).

For which f is this relation reflexive? Left as an exercise.

What is a reflexive relation?

A reflexive relation is a type of binary relation in mathematics where every element in a set is related to itself. In other words, for any element x in a set, (x,x) is an ordered pair in the relation. This means that every element is related to itself by the relation.

What is the difference between a reflexive relation and an irreflexive relation?

The main difference between a reflexive relation and an irreflexive relation is that in a reflexive relation, every element is related to itself, while in an irreflexive relation, no element is related to itself. In other words, for any element x in a set, (x,x) is an ordered pair in a reflexive relation, but not in an irreflexive relation.

Can a reflexive relation be symmetric or antisymmetric?

Yes, a reflexive relation can be both symmetric and antisymmetric. A relation is symmetric if for any elements x and y in a set, if (x,y) is an ordered pair in the relation, then (y,x) must also be an ordered pair. A relation is antisymmetric if for any elements x and y in a set, if (x,y) and (y,x) are both ordered pairs in the relation, then x=y. A reflexive relation can satisfy both of these conditions.

What are some examples of reflexive relations?

Some examples of reflexive relations include "is equal to" on the set of integers, "is a subset of" on the set of all sets, and "has the same first and last name" on the set of all people. In each of these examples, every element is related to itself, making them reflexive relations.

How are reflexive relations used in real life?

Reflexive relations are used in many areas of mathematics, such as set theory, graph theory, and algebra. In real life, they can be used to represent relationships between objects, such as "is the same as" or "is connected to". They can also be used in computer science, for example, in the analysis of algorithms and data structures.