Refraction Formula For Thin Lens

In summary, the conversation discusses different lens formulas, including the thin lens formula and the virtual-real sign convention formula. The use of the Cartesian sign convention is also mentioned, which can cause confusion due to the sign flip. The conversation concludes with the understanding that both formulas are correct, but the real-virtual formula is often preferred in more advanced texts.
UchihaClan13
I was browsing about my optics books,completing numericals and stuff
When I found a a statement called different lens formulas
It had 2 formulas
One,called the thin lens formula or rather the geometric sign convention formula was called 1/v-1/u=1/f(Symbols have their usual meanings) and another one called the virtual-real sign convention formula which was 1/v+1/u=1/f
I know that for a thin lens 1/S0 +1/SI=1/F
Where S0,SI are the object and image distances respectively
So is the statement correct
Or is it just one formula made into two because of the Cartesian SIgn Convention?
Some insight is much appreciated
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Both are 'correct'. See Hyperphysics where they tell you all the details.

And yes, the Cartesian sign convention flips the sign.

(But now I am personally confused by the minus sign for f in the second link :frown: . Anyone ? )

perhaps this helps ?

Last edited:
It helped quite a lot
But my question is why are there 2 lens equations to begin with
I personally use the gaussian formula with sign convention
I never really have used the real-virtual one

Same here. But the link reveals that
form using the Cartesian sign convention is often used in more advanced texts because of advantages with multiple-lens systems and more complex optical instruments.

1. What is the formula for calculating refraction in a thin lens?

The formula for calculating refraction in a thin lens is known as the Lens Maker's Formula. It is given by:
1/f = (n - 1) * (1/R1 - 1/R2), where f is the focal length of the lens, n is the refractive index of the material the lens is made of, and R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature of the two lens surfaces.

2. How does the refraction formula for thin lens differ from Snell's law?

Snell's law only applies to refraction at a single interface, while the refraction formula for thin lens takes into account the two surfaces of the lens and the material it is made of. Additionally, Snell's law uses angles to calculate refraction, while the thin lens formula uses radii of curvature.

3. Can the refraction formula for thin lens be used for both converging and diverging lenses?

Yes, the refraction formula for thin lens can be used for both converging and diverging lenses. The sign convention for the radii of curvature and the refractive index are different for each type of lens, but the formula remains the same.

4. Is the refraction formula for thin lens only applicable to visible light?

No, the refraction formula for thin lens is applicable to all electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet. It can also be used for any medium, not just air, as long as the refractive index is known.

5. How is the refraction formula for thin lens derived?

The refraction formula for thin lens is derived from the combination of Snell's law and the thin lens equation. By considering the two lens surfaces as two interfaces, and using the radii of curvature and refractive index of the material, we can derive the formula for the focal length of a thin lens.