Thin Lens Formula: Deriving 1/f = 1/S_O + 1/S_I

In summary, the thin lens equation is a general equation given by 1/SO + 1/SI = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2) assuming that light is incident from air. There is a "usual" way to derive the thin lens formula, also known as the Gaussian Lens Formula, which involves introducing the focal length by 1/f = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2) when either the image of the object is at infinity. This leads to the statement that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI, but this is only valid when either the object or image is at infinity. However, many authors state that this equation is also valid when
Niles
Hi

The thin lens equation we know is given by

[tex]
\frac{1}{S_O} + \frac{1}{S_I} = (n-1)(\frac{1}{R_1}-\frac{1}{R_2})
[/tex]

assuming light is incident from air. The "usual" way to derive the thin lens formula (aka the Gaussian Lens Formula) is to say that when looking at the system when either the image of object is at infinity, then we introduce the focal length by

[tex]
\frac{1}{f} = (n-1)(\frac{1}{R_1}-\frac{1}{R_2})
[/tex]

From this it is usually stated that then 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI. This I don't agree with, since the thin lens equation at the top is general, however the second equation stated is when either the object or image is at infinity. From this one can't state 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI, as done in e.g. Hecht.

What is the correct argument?Niles.

Science news on Phys.org
Niles said:
This I don't agree with, since the thin lens equation at the top is general, however the second equation stated is when either the object or image is at infinity.
But the right hand side of that equation is a constant. If you put parallel rays in, the image distance defines the focal length.

Doc Al said:
But the right hand side of that equation is a constant. If you put parallel rays in, the image distance defines the focal length.

Yes, that is a proof showing that f = SO = SI. However, it doesn't prove that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI, but that is what most authors state that it does.

Niles said:
Yes, that is a proof showing that f = SO = SI. However, it doesn't prove that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI, but that is what most authors state that it does.
Sure it proves it. (It's really just the definition of focal length.) 1/f = 1/SI when SO = ∞, which equals the constant expression on the right hand side of the thin lens equation. Thus f is fixed.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Sure it proves it. (It's really just the definition of focal length.) 1/f = 1/SI when SO = ∞, which equals the constant expression on the right hand side of the thin lens equation. Thus f is fixed.

It proves that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI assuming that either SO or SI is at infinity. However, many authors say that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI is also valid when SO and SI are not at infinity, in which case we can use it to find the image distance given some arbitrary object distance. This latter case I don't agree with.

Niles said:
It proves that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI assuming that either SO or SI is at infinity.
No. First you start with the thin lens formula, which it seems you accept. Then you define f as the image distance when SO is at infinity; f is a constant for the lens, and 1/f is equal to the right hand side of your original thin lens equation. Thus you can rewrite the thin lens equation in terms of f.
However, many authors say that 1/f = 1/SO + 1/SI is also valid when SO and SI are not at infinity, in which case we can use it to find the image distance given some arbitrary object distance. This latter case I don't agree with.
If you still don't agree, start by defining f.

Doc Al said:
No. First you start with the thin lens formula, which it seems you accept. Then you define f as the image distance when SO is at infinity; f is a constant for the lens, and 1/f is equal to the right hand side of your original thin lens equation (the following is added by Niles, not Doc Al) when the object is at infinity.

I added something to your quote (the bolded part), which is where we disagree. The focal length is defined as the image distance when the object distance is at infinity, so 1/f is only equal to the LHS of the thin lens equation, when SO is at infinity.

Last edited:
Niles said:
I added something to your quote (the bolded part), which is where we disagree. The focal length is defined as the image distance when the object distance is at infinity, so 1/f is only equal to the LHS of the thin lens equation, when SO is at infinity.

That is just the definition of f, surely. What is the problem with that? f is a very convenient parameter for a lens, which why we specify lenses in terms of focal length. Can you propose a better way?

Have you tried doing what Doc Al suggested?

Ahhh, now I see it. Great! Thanks for being patient with me.

Best wishes to both of you,
Niles.

Niles said:
I added something to your quote (the bolded part), which is where we disagree.
Careful about adding something to a quote box, as it makes it look like I said it.
The focal length is defined as the image distance when the object distance is at infinity, so 1/f is only equal to the LHS of the thin lens equation, when SO is at infinity.
Let me ask you this: If I give you n, R1, and R2 for a lens, can you calculate the focal length? How would you do that?

Doc Al said:
Careful about adding something to a quote box, as it makes it look like I said it.

Yeah, sorry about that. I changed it.

Doc Al said:
Let me ask you this: If I give you n, R1, and R2 for a lens, can you calculate the focal length? How would you do that?

Of course I can. I set SO to be at infinity, and since SI = f in this case (by definition), I just use the RHS of the thin lens equation to find 1/f. But the RHS *is* SO + SI, which is the part I missed. But I see it now.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Niles.

Cool. :smile:

1. What is the Thin Lens Formula?

The Thin Lens Formula is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the object distance, image distance, and focal length of a thin lens. It is used to calculate the position of an image formed by a thin lens.

2. How is the Thin Lens Formula derived?

The Thin Lens Formula is derived using basic principles of geometric optics, specifically the laws of refraction and the thin lens approximation. It involves using the distances between the object, lens, and image, as well as the refractive index of the lens material, to find the focal length of the lens.

3. What is the significance of the 1/f term in the Thin Lens Formula?

The 1/f term in the Thin Lens Formula represents the inverse of the focal length of the lens. This term is important because it determines the strength of the lens and how much it bends light. A shorter focal length corresponds to a stronger lens that bends light more, while a longer focal length corresponds to a weaker lens that bends light less.

4. How does the Thin Lens Formula relate to real-life optical systems?

The Thin Lens Formula is a simplified version of the more complex lens equation, which takes into account the thickness of the lens and the distance between the lens and the object. However, the Thin Lens Formula is still useful for understanding and predicting the behavior of real-life optical systems, such as cameras, telescopes, and eyeglasses.

5. Can the Thin Lens Formula be used for all types of lenses?

The Thin Lens Formula is only applicable to thin lenses, which are lenses with a thickness that is small compared to the radius of curvature of the lens surfaces. It is not accurate for thick lenses or other types of lenses, such as concave lenses or lenses with non-spherical surfaces.