Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction : freq remains unchanged

1. Jun 18, 2005 #1
    this is my first post in this forum.
    i have a question :
    i have read that when light refracts into other medium its frequency remains unchanged but velocity and wavelength changes.

there is a formula to it : v=n*lamda (v=velocity,n=freq,lambda=wavelength)

Q1: why the freq remains unchanged ?

Q2: is it true for all waves (like sound, etc ) ?

thank you

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

YES.The frequency is determined by the source.By the vibration of those electrons,or by the specific transition which occurs inside the atom.

Daniel.

4. Jun 18, 2005 #3
    i am so glad that my question has been answered so fast. i have understood your answer. this is a great forum.

i have some questions on social science, geography . will you please tell me some forum links where i could post questions on these topics. is there any forum like this which supports questions on social sc, geography,economis ?

5. Jun 18, 2005 #4
    Yes, the frequency means the cycles/sec , which as daniel said is determined by the source but the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive troughs/crests , when a light ray enters into the medium this length between crests/trough decreasses but the frequency remains the same. This happenes with all the electromagnetic waves and sound waves.

6. Jun 18, 2005 #5
    thanks doctor. thats very beautiful .

7. Jun 19, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can ask all your questions here.In this forum for "genetal physics" and in other specialized forums for other subjects.

Welcome ot PF !!

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?