Solving Refraction: Critical Angle & Min. Angle of Incidence

• Thread starter max1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the critical angle and minimum angle of incidence for light traveling through air and incident on a block of ice with a refractive index of 1.3. The critical angle was determined to be approximately 50.3 degrees, while the minimum angle of incidence for light to be refracted out of the block at any point along the top surface was discussed but not fully solved. A diagram was provided to aid in the solution process.
max1995

Homework Statement

Light traveling thorugh air is at incident at point x on the block of ice. If the refractive index is 1.3, calculate
a) the critical angle at the ice-air interface (3 marks)
b) the minimum angle of incidence, for the light to Y refracted out of the block at any point along the top surface (7 marks)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) sin(θc)=1/nm
θ= sin-1(1/1.3)
θ= 50.3 (1 d.p)

is this right?

b) Need help on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) is right.

For (b) there's a diagram to accompany it?

NascentOxygen said:
(a) is right.

For (b) there's a diagram to accompany it?

yep it is in the file i uploaded

Attachments

• image 1.docx
    130.2 KB · Views: 175
thank you for helping btw :)

I can view only jpegs, sorry.

NascentOxygen said:
I can view only jpegs, sorry.
Managed to turn it into jpeg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 321
I was anticipating there'd be a point Y. I find there is not.

Perhaps you meant to type
b) the minimum angle of incidence, for light to be refracted out of the block at any point along the top surface?

If so, start by drawing a large diagram with all straight lines (e.g., by using a ruler).

By "any point" I think they don't mean "every point", just at least some point.

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different substances with varying densities. This phenomenon occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. What is the critical angle in refraction?

The critical angle is the angle at which light is refracted at such a high angle that it doesn't pass through the interface between two substances and instead gets reflected back into the original medium.

3. How is the critical angle calculated?

The critical angle can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

4. What is the minimum angle of incidence in refraction?

The minimum angle of incidence is the smallest angle at which light can enter a medium and still be refracted. It is the angle at which the refracted ray just grazes the surface of the medium.

5. How is the minimum angle of incidence related to the critical angle?

The minimum angle of incidence is always smaller than the critical angle. In fact, the minimum angle of incidence is equal to the critical angle when light is passing from a more dense medium to a less dense medium.