Refridgeration, Boyle's law or enthelpy of vaporization?

In summary, there are two main ways in which air conditioners or refrigerators make cold air. One way is by using expanding gas in its coils, which follows Boyle's law. The other way is through forced vaporization of a liquid, which absorbs heat from the surroundings. These methods seem to contradict each other, as one would result in the refrigerant getting cooler while the other would result in it absorbing more heat. The question then arises, which law governs the cooling action? A discussion of the refrigeration cycle using compressed vapor can be found in the link provided.
FrankJ777
I've curious about how an air conditioner or refrigerator make's cold air. I've read two different descriptions how cold is "made", or how heat is removed from a system. Some descriptions I've read say that air conditioners use expanding gas in it's coils, hence the use of Boyle's law. Other descriptions I've read describe forced vaporization of a liquid, in which case heat would be absorbed from the surroundings due to the enthalpy of the liquid vaporizing. They seem like mutually exclusive actions, as for using Boyle's law the refrigerant would get cooler, but using the method of vaporizing a liquid, it seems the refrigerant would absorb more heat, and be more effective at cooling. Anyways, my question is which law governs the cooling action?

Science news on Phys.org

1. What is refrigeration?

Refrigeration is the process of removing heat from an object or space to lower its temperature and preserve perishable items. This is typically achieved through the use of a refrigerant, which absorbs heat as it evaporates and then releases it as it condenses.

2. How does Boyle's law relate to refrigeration?

Boyle's law states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature. In refrigeration, this law is used to decrease the volume of the refrigerant gas, which increases its pressure and causes it to condense into a liquid. This liquid is then pumped through the refrigeration system to absorb heat and cool the desired space or object.

3. What is the enthalpy of vaporization?

The enthalpy of vaporization is the amount of energy required to convert a liquid into a gas at a constant temperature. In refrigeration, this is important because it allows the refrigerant to absorb a significant amount of heat as it undergoes this phase change, making it an efficient method for cooling.

4. How does refrigeration impact the environment?

Refrigeration can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it allows for the preservation of food and medicine, reducing waste and improving public health. However, refrigerant gases can also contribute to the depletion of the ozone layer and contribute to climate change if they are released into the atmosphere.

5. What are some common uses of refrigeration?

Refrigeration is commonly used in homes and businesses for food storage and air conditioning. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as food and beverage production, pharmaceuticals, and chemical manufacturing. Additionally, refrigeration is used in transportation to keep perishable items fresh during shipping.