1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigerator Question

1. Nov 22, 2005 #1
    (1) A refrigerator with mass m is pushed up a ramp at constant speed by a man applying a force F . The ramp is at an angle [tex] \theta [/tex] above the horizontal. Neglect friction for the refrigerator. If the force F is horizontal , calculate its magnitude in terms of m and [tex] \theta [/tex].

Ok so I drew a free body diagram. The forces acting on it are the applied force F , the weight of the crate [tex] w = mg [/tex], and the normal force n . I set up a coordinate system in which the side parallel to the ramp is the x-axis, and the side perpendicular to the ramp is the y-axis. So I decomposed the weight vector into its following components: [tex] F_{x} = mg\sin\theta [/tex], and [tex] F_{y} = mg\cos\theta [/tex]. I know the answer is [tex] mg\tan\theta [/tex]. How would you get this knowing the components of the weight vector?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

You have a good start. So the forces of interest are those along the parallel direction of the inclined ramp. By resolving the gravitational force mg, we get along the ramp direction [tex] F_g_x = mgsin\theta [/tex].

Now, to resolve the horizontal force F being applied to the refrigerator. If we denote a force [tex]F'[/tex] to represent the component of this force parallel to the ramp's incline, then we can see the relationship: [tex]Fcos\theta = F' [/tex]. Noticeably then, for no acceleration along the ramp, then [tex] F' = F_g_x [/tex]. Solved?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?