Unlearning Block Universe: BU vs Presentism Q&A

• A
  • Thread starter GrayGhost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the conversation discussed the concepts of PRESENTISM and the BLOCK UNIVERSE as two interpretations of the same LTs. It was mentioned that the LTs require the time desynchronisation of moving bodies, and a question was posed about how this is explained by the PRESENTIST interpretation. The response stated that the choice of definition for "at the same time" can affect the synchronisation of clocks, regardless of the chosen interpretation. The conversation ended with the mentor stating that the thread would be closed unless the OP requested for it to be reopened for additional clarification.
GrayGhost
OK, so I was reading thru a prior thread UNLEARNING THE BLOCK UNIVERSE, initiated by user Lynch101, and which has already been locked by the forum. There were many good responses. It was stated that PRESENTISM and the BLOCK UNIVERSE are 2 philosophical interpretations of the very same LTs, and so they are indistinguishable by test.

The LTs require the time desynchronisation of moving bodies, per the inertial stationary observer moving relatively. Consider a starship moving inertially at relativistic rate. Per the Block Universe interpretation, for clocks synchronised in the starship, its foward clocks lag the time readout of its aftward clocks. This is to say that each position of the starship (along it's axis of motion) exists in a different starship era of time, per the stationary POV in his own instant of time, and this is consistent (of course) with the past, present, and future all coexisting on equal footing in a fused spacetime contunuum.

OK, so I'm hoping a relativity mentor or science advisor will chime in here, on this one question ...

Q) How is the time desynchronisation of moving bodies explained by the PRESENTIST interpretation?

Thank You,
GrayGhost

Physics news on Phys.org
GrayGhost said:
The LTs require the time desynchronisation of moving bodies, per the inertial stationary observer moving relatively. Consider a starship moving inertially at relativistic rate. Per the Block Universe interpretation, for clocks synchronised in the starship, its foward clocks lag the time readout of its aftward clocks.
That interpretation says no such thing. If the clocks are synced in the ship frame, then they are synced in that frame and not other ones. All frames are equally valid under block interpretation.

It is the presentist interpretation that posits only one objective way to sync the clocks, and no way for the people on the ship to determine how to do this.

Q) How is the time desynchronisation of moving bodies explained by the PRESENTIST interpretation?
Clock moves fast (an absolute thing, not relative), so it is dilated. It's that simple. A stationary clock runs at full speed, if at zero gravitational potential, which of course nothing is. That's another thing nobody seems to be able to measure is what is the (absolute) average gravitational potential here on Earth.

GrayGhost said:
One frame is, in some sense, the right one. Clocks synchronised in this frame are synchronised in the now that actually exists. All others aren't. But causality in relativity doesn't depend at all on the definition of "now". It depends on what is (or was, in this interpretation) in your past light cone and sent some kind of signal that is affecting you now, and what's in your past light cone is the same in any interpretation. Thus this choice of "real" frame is indetectable and irrelevant.

Likes Dale
Halc said:
That interpretation says no such thing. If the clocks are synced in the ship frame, then they are synced in that frame and not other ones. All frames are equally valid under block interpretation.

Very sorry Halc, but I really have no idea why you would post this in relation to my question.

Brest regards,
GrayGhost

GrayGhost said:
I really have no idea why you would post this in relation to my question.

It was a perfectly valid response to this erroneous statement of yours:

GrayGhost said:
Per the Block Universe interpretation, for clocks synchronised in the starship, its foward clocks lag the time readout of its aftward clocks.

OK, so Ibx seemed to understand my question. I thought the follow-on sentence amplified it enough, however I'll reword the OP below to make it clearer.

Ibx, thanks for the response. That's the way I've always understood it as well, ie the Presentist interpretation requires a preferred frame behold of TRUE simultaneity, and frames moving relatively do not. Before I respond further, I'll take a little time to work on a more detailed scenario, to be more specific. I'm focusing on what time desynchronization "means" (per Presentism) as it pertains to moving bodies, per the observer not of the preferred frame.

Here's my OP rewrite ...

OK, so I was reading thru a prior thread UNLEARNING THE BLOCK UNIVERSE, initiated by user Lynch101, and which has already been locked by the forum. There were many good responses. It was stated that PRESENTISM and the BLOCK UNIVERSE are 2 philosophical interpretations of the very same LTs, and so they are indistinguishable by test.

The LTs require the time desynchronisation of moving bodies, per the inertial observer moving relatively. Consider a starship moving inertially at relativistic rate. Per the Block Universe interpretation, given starship clocks are all synchronized in the starship's own frame, its foward clocks lag the time readout of its aftward clocks per a relatively moving observer ... which is to say that each position of the starship (along it's axis of motion) exists in a different starship era of time, per said moving observer. This is consistent (of course) with the past, present, and future all coexisting on equal footing in a fused spacetime contunuum.

OK, so I'm hoping a relativity mentor or science advisor will chime in here, on this one question ...

Thank You,
GrayGhost

GrayGhost said:
If you choose a definition of “at the same time“ such that the hands of the clocks are all at the same position at the same time then the clocks are all synchronized. Choose a different definition of “at the same time” and they wI’ll be desynchronized.

This will be true whether you use the block universe model or not.

The only reason this thread can be tolerated under the forum rules about not arguing over block universe and LET is that it’s correcting OP’s misunderstanding.

that’s done, so the thread is closed.
(as with all thread closures, PM me or any other mentor if you want it reopened to add additional explanation)

1. What is the difference between Block Universe and Presentism?

Block Universe and Presentism are two competing theories about the nature of time. Block Universe, also known as Eternalism, posits that time is a dimension that exists in its entirety, with past, present, and future all equally real and fixed. Presentism, on the other hand, argues that only the present moment is real, and the past and future do not exist.

2. How does Block Universe challenge our understanding of time?

Block Universe challenges our understanding of time by suggesting that all moments in time exist simultaneously and are equally real. This goes against our common-sense perception of time as a linear progression from past to present to future.

3. What evidence supports the Block Universe theory?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the Block Universe theory is the theory of relativity, which suggests that time is relative and can be experienced differently by different observers. This supports the idea that all moments in time exist simultaneously, rather than being experienced in a linear fashion.

4. How does Presentism address the issue of free will?

Presentism addresses the issue of free will by arguing that only the present moment is real and all other moments are merely potentialities. This allows for the possibility of free will, as our choices and actions in the present moment are not predetermined by events in the past or future.

5. Can the Block Universe and Presentism theories coexist?

Some philosophers argue that the Block Universe and Presentism theories can coexist, as they may be describing different aspects of time. For example, the Block Universe may describe the objective reality of time, while Presentism may describe our subjective experience of time. However, others argue that the two theories are fundamentally incompatible and cannot both be true.