Regarding Fluids and hydrostatic force ratios

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio of hydrostatic force on the bottom of a cylindrical barrel filled with water to the gravitational force on the water. The barrel has a diameter of 1.2m and a height of 1.8m, while the open tube attached to the top has a length of 1.8m and a cross-sectional area of 4.6 cm^2. The weight of the barrel and tube is calculated using the formula W=mg=pVg, but there is uncertainty in the calculation of the tube's volume. The desired ratio is 2, but the attempted solution did not yield the correct answer.
pendulumboy
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7909/hrw71431.gif
http://g.imageshack.us/img255/hrw71431.gif/1/
An open tube of length L = 1.8 m and cross-sectional area A = 4.6 cm^2 is fixed to the top of a cylindrical barrel of diameter D= 1.2m and height H=1.8 m

The barrel and the tube are filled with water (to the top of the tube). Calculate the ratio of hydrostatic force on the bottom of the barrel to the gravitational force on the water contained in the barrel. Ignore atmospheric pressure for this question.

Homework Equations

P= patm + pgh
Weight=mg=pVg

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried calculating the volume of the cylinder, tube then subbing it into the equation
Weight=mg=pVg
however it did not work properly as the answer is supposed to be 2.

Did i convert the Area to Radius wrong? Or is there another way I am supposed to go about thisI set up my ratio as = Weight of Barrel + Tube / Weight of barrel only

V of barrel = Pi * (0.6)^2 * 1.8 = 2.03575204
I subbed this into W=mg=pVg = 1000 g/m^3 * 2.03575204 * 9.8 m/s^2
W=19950

I'm not sure how to go about the tube part as it given us the cross sectional area

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
can someone please direct me in the right direction

. To find the volume of the tube I would need the length of the tube. Can you help me out with that?First, let's calculate the volume of the tube. We know the cross-sectional area (A) and the length (L), so we can use the formula V = AL to find the volume.
V = 4.6 cm^2 * 1.8 m = 0.00828 m^3

Next, we can calculate the weight of the water in the tube using the formula W = mg = pVg. We know the density of water (p) is 1000 kg/m^3 and the volume (V) we just calculated, so we can plug those values in.
W = 1000 kg/m^3 * 0.00828 m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 = 81.184 kg

Now, let's calculate the weight of the barrel and the tube combined. We already calculated the weight of the water in the tube, so we just need to add the weight of the barrel. The volume of the barrel is given as Pi * (0.6)^2 * 1.8 = 2.03575204 m^3. So we can use the same formula as before to calculate the weight.
W = 1000 kg/m^3 * 2.03575204 m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 = 19950.0096 kg

Finally, we can calculate the ratio of the hydrostatic force on the bottom of the barrel to the gravitational force on the water contained in the barrel. We just need to divide the weight of the barrel and tube combined by the weight of the water in the tube.
Ratio = 19950.0096 kg / 81.184 kg = 245.78

However, the answer is supposed to be 2. This could be because of rounding errors in the given values or in the calculations. It's also possible that the question is asking for the ratio of the hydrostatic force on the bottom of the barrel to the weight of the barrel only, in which case the correct answer would be 19950.0096 kg / 19950 kg = 1.000048.

In conclusion, the ratio of the hydrostatic force on the bottom of the barrel to the gravitational force on the water contained in the barrel is either

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on a surface due to the weight of the fluid above it. It is a result of the pressure exerted by the fluid on the surface.

2. How is the hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the fluid above the surface. This calculation is known as the hydrostatic pressure formula: F = ρgh, where F is the hydrostatic force, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid.

3. What is the relationship between fluid density and hydrostatic force?

The relationship between fluid density and hydrostatic force is direct. As the density of the fluid increases, the hydrostatic force also increases. This is because the weight of the fluid above the surface is directly proportional to its density.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the hydrostatic force?

The shape of an object does not affect the hydrostatic force. The hydrostatic force is only dependent on the height of the fluid above the surface and the density of the fluid, not the shape of the object.

5. What is the significance of hydrostatic force in real-life applications?

Hydrostatic force plays a significant role in many real-life applications, such as in dams, swimming pools, and hydraulic systems. It is also important in understanding the stability of ships and other floating objects in water. In industries, hydrostatic force is used to measure fluid pressure and to design structures that can withstand the force of a fluid.