Regualr hexagon and position vector - how does this work

In summary, the conversation is about a regular hexagon with vertices at O, P, Q, R, S, and T, and a point U with position vector u being the midpoint of line segment OP. The point V is where line segment SU meets OR. The goal is to show that the position vector r is equal to 2(p+t) and to write down the position vectors u and s in terms of p and t. The person asking for help has a diagram but is not sure how to proceed. They were advised to post a simple graphic instead of a Word document. The person providing assistance gave a starting point for solving the problem and suggested using the geometry of the regular hexagon to find the necessary equations.
rohan03

Homework Statement

a regular hexagon OPQRST has its vertices at O ( the origin) and points P,Q,R, S,T with position vector p,q,r,s,t respectively. The point U with position vector u is the midpoint of the line segment OP, and SU meets OR at the point V
please see attached diagem

I need to show that the position vector r=2(p+t) and write down the position vector u and s, in terms of p and t.

Now what I do know is I have marked on my diagram in colour - however I am not sure any further as this is very new to me. so your help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At the moment you have had 73 viewers and 2 of them looked at your word document. Many of us, myself included, will not open a Word document off the internet. You will have more luck if you post a simple graphic so we can see it when we read your post.

Ok. Will do.

here I am attaching bitmap so jope someone can help.. word doc is problem so I will remove it

Attachments

• hexagone.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 688
Here's a start: ##r = p + PQ +QR##. Can you show from the geometry of the regular hexagon that ##QR = t## and ##PQ = p + t##? That should get you your equation for ##r##.

1. What is a regular hexagon?

A regular hexagon is a polygon with six equal sides and six equal angles. It is a two-dimensional shape that can be found in nature, such as in honeycombs, or can be created artificially in various designs.

2. How is a regular hexagon different from other hexagon shapes?

A regular hexagon is different from other hexagon shapes because it has equal sides and angles, while other hexagons can have varying side lengths and angles. Regular hexagons also have rotational symmetry, meaning they can be rotated around a central point and still look the same.

3. How is a regular hexagon used in mathematics and science?

A regular hexagon is often used as a building block for more complex shapes, such as a hexagonal prism. It is also used in geometry to demonstrate properties of regular polygons, such as the relationships between side lengths and angles. In science, regular hexagons are found in the molecular structure of some compounds and in the shapes of certain crystalline structures.

4. What is a position vector in relation to a regular hexagon?

A position vector is a mathematical concept that describes the location of a point in space relative to a fixed reference point. In the case of a regular hexagon, the position vector can be used to describe the location of each vertex (corner) of the hexagon in relation to a central point or origin.

5. How does understanding the position vector of a regular hexagon relate to real-world applications?

Understanding the position vector of a regular hexagon can be useful in various real-world applications, such as in navigation systems, computer graphics, and engineering design. It allows for precise location and orientation of objects in space, which is essential in many fields. For example, it can be used in surveying to determine the coordinates of specific points on a map or in 3D modeling to accurately position objects in a virtual environment.