1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regualr hexagon and position vector - how does this work

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a regular hexagon OPQRST has its vertices at O ( the origin) and points P,Q,R, S,T with position vector p,q,r,s,t respectively. The point U with position vector u is the midpoint of the line segment OP, and SU meets OR at the point V
    please see attached diagem

I need to show that the position vector r=2(p+t) and write down the position vector u and s, in terms of p and t.

Now what I do know is I have marked on my diagram in colour - however I am not sure any further as this is very new to me. so your help will be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the moment you have had 73 viewers and 2 of them looked at your word document. Many of us, myself included, will not open a Word document off the internet. You will have more luck if you post a simple graphic so we can see it when we read your post.

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    Ok. Will do.

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4
    here I am attaching bitmap so jope someone can help.. word doc is problem so I will remove it

Attached Files:

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a start: ##r = p + PQ +QR##. Can you show from the geometry of the regular hexagon that ##QR = t## and ##PQ = p + t##? That should get you your equation for ##r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook