Calculate Reimbursement for Multiple Plans: A Healthcare Guide

• Thread starter DianaCorine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, "Calculate Reimbursement for Multiple Plans: A Healthcare Guide" is a comprehensive guide that aims to assist healthcare professionals in accurately calculating reimbursements for patients with multiple insurance plans. This guide can benefit doctors, nurses, and medical billers in any healthcare setting, as it provides general guidelines and principles. It also includes various tools and resources, such as reimbursement calculators and a glossary of terms. The guide is regularly updated to reflect changes in the healthcare industry.
DianaCorine
Summary: I work in healthcare and I have to come up with a formula that will correctly reimburse members their out of pocket costs in the correct plan when they are enrolled in two or more plans following the rules below:
1. All of the transactions for Plan A will count towards Plan B limits.
2. I can only reimburse the money in the plan the transaction came in.

Below is my example:

Member A was enrolled in Plan A from January through March 2019 AND Plan B from April through May 2019. Both plans had different plan limits.

Plan A: $200 plan limit

Plan B: $400 plan limit

Transaction 1 came in 01/05/2019 for Plan A for $250, therefore the Plan A Cumulative Reimbursement so far is $50.

Transaction 2 came in 04/05/2019 for Plan B for $200, for some reason or another no transaction to reimburse Plan A has come through, so I still need to count the $250 towards plan Bs limit of $400. If I add $250 +$200=$450, that is $50 over my plan B limit and therefore the reimbursement due to my customer is $50 for Plan A and $50 for plan B.

There has to be some mathematical formula for this to work out, if someone can help me figure this out that would be great, i can then transalate it to an Excel formula. I have attached my spreadsheet so you can see the work I am doing and perhaps this will help. the formula would go into Column K (Reimbursement by Plan).

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Attachments

• Reimbursements by Plan.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
DianaCorine said:
Transaction 1 came in 01/05/2019 for Plan A for $250, therefore the Plan A Cumulative Reimbursement so far is $50.
Did you mention a reimbursement rate? Sorry if I missed it.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Did you mention a reimbursement rate? Sorry if I missed it.
The reimbursement would be anything over the plan limit. In this case it would be $50 for Plan A and $50 for Plan B.

1. How do I calculate reimbursement for multiple healthcare plans?

To calculate reimbursement for multiple healthcare plans, you will need to follow these steps:1. Gather all necessary information, such as the patient's insurance information, services rendered, and provider contract rates.2. Determine the primary and secondary insurance plans.3. Calculate the allowed amount for each service based on the contracted rates.4. Determine the coordination of benefits (COB) rules for the primary and secondary plans.5. Apply the COB rules to determine the primary and secondary responsibilities.6. Calculate the remaining patient responsibility and any potential write-offs based on the primary and secondary payments.

2. What is the coordination of benefits rule?

The coordination of benefits rule is a method used by insurance companies to determine which plan is responsible for paying a patient's medical expenses when they are covered under multiple insurance plans. The primary plan is responsible for paying the majority of the expenses, while the secondary plan may cover the remaining costs.

3. How do I determine the primary and secondary plans?

The primary plan is typically the insurance plan that has been in effect for the longest period of time, while the secondary plan is usually the more recently acquired plan. However, to determine the primary and secondary plans accurately, it is best to consult with the insurance companies or utilize a coordination of benefits calculator.

4. Can I submit a claim to both primary and secondary insurance plans?

Yes, you can submit a claim to both primary and secondary insurance plans. However, the primary plan must be billed first, and then the secondary plan can be billed for any remaining patient responsibility. It is important to follow the coordination of benefits rules to ensure accurate and timely reimbursements.

5. What factors can affect reimbursement from multiple healthcare plans?

Several factors can affect reimbursement from multiple healthcare plans, including the coordination of benefits rules, contracted rates with each plan, and any potential write-offs. Additionally, any changes to the patient's insurance coverage or services rendered can also impact reimbursement. It is essential to regularly review and update insurance information to ensure accurate reimbursement calculations.