Solving Related Rates Problems: Tips and Tricks for Finding Maximum Height

In summary: What does it mean in this problem?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the height and velocity of a ball. The given function s(t) describes the height of the ball relative to time and has a parabolic shape. To find the maximum height of the ball, the derivative of s(t) is set equal to zero and solved for time, which is then plugged back into the original equation to find the maximum height. For the second part, the derivative is evaluated at t = 0 to find the initial velocity of the ball. The time when s(t) = 0 is found to determine when the ball hits the ground, and that value is used in the velocity function to find the velocity at impact. The units for
asdfsystema
s3okus.jpg

I believe this is a related rates problem.

I attempted part 2 but I'm not sure about the equation for the maximum height. is it the derivative ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a related rates problem. The height of the ball is given by the function s(t). The ball goes straight up, slowing as it goes, and momentarily stops. After that, it falls straight down.

The function you're given describes the height of the ball relative to time. What is the shape of this graph? The high point of the graph tells you the height of the ball at its highest position, and the time when it gets there.

For the second part, your derivative is correct, but if you evaluate the derivative at t = 0, what you're getting is the velocity at t = 0. IOW, the velocity when the ball is thrown.

Use your given function to find when s(t) = 0. Whatever time you get is the time when the ball hits the ground. Use that value in your velocity function to find the ball's velocity when it hits.

Find derivative of s(t) and set it equal to zero, and then solve for time. The time you get when you do this tells you when the ball stops moving going up, in other words this is the time when your balls final velocity is zero. Take this time and plug it back to your s(t) equation and it tells you the maximum height of the ball.

part A.

it is a parabola with a max , so the maximum height will be at the max point in the graph.

s(t) = 48t+64t-16t^2
take derviative . s'(t) = 64 -32t
set to zero t= 2 . plug t back in original?

48(2)+64(2)-16(2)^2 = 160

Part B.

i did what you suggested.
s(t) = 48+64t-16t^2 = 0

I get -(t+1) (t+4) sooo t= -1 and t=-4 ??

i know what to do next but I am getting two "t" values right now ..

asdfsystema said:
part A.

it is a parabola with a max , so the maximum height will be at the max point in the graph.

s(t) = 48t+64t-16t^2
take derviative . s'(t) = 64 -32t
set to zero t= 2 . plug t back in original?

48(2)+64(2)-16(2)^2 = 160
To clarify what you wrote,
s'(t) = 0 ==> t = 2
s(2) = 160
Your calculations are correct, but what are the units here? Many instructors require that you state your answer in words.
asdfsystema said:
Part B.

i did what you suggested.
s(t) = 48+64t-16t^2 = 0

I get -(t+1) (t+4) sooo t= -1 and t=-4 ??
You started with an equation: 48 + 64t - 16t^2 = 0.
Each step should be an equation.
If I multiply the factors you show, I get -t^2 - 5t -4. Is that related to what you started with?
asdfsystema said:
i know what to do next but I am getting two "t" values right now ..

Oops sorry I was posting the wrong equation haha.

I meant (-t-1)(t+3)

which will give me -t^2-4t-3 and is the same as -16t^2+64t+48 after dividing the whole thing by 16.

What is my next step ?

Your next step is to go back and factor the left side of the equation -16t^2 +64t + 48 again. This time, try to get the right factors.
Also, each step should be an equation.

ok i factored it again

x= 4.6457
x= -0.6457

What do I do next ... ?

OK, now you have the right numbers.
What do they represent in terms of this problem? (You have them as values of x, but the original equation doesn't involve x.)

As for "what do I do next?" look at the original problem and try to understand what it is that you are doing. What you have done is find values for which s(t) = 0. Do you understand why you needed to do that, and what you have to do next? If you don't, take a look at message #2.

s(t) = 48+64t-16t^2

v(t)= 64-32t

v(4.6457)= 64-32(4.6457)

v(t) = -84.6624

is that correct ?

The numbers look about right. What are the units?

What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that deals with finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves the use of derivatives to determine how the rate of change of one quantity affects the rate of change of another quantity.

What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include problems involving the changing area or volume of a shape, rates of change of distance between moving objects, and rates of change of angles in geometric shapes.

How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you must first identify the variables involved and determine how they are related to each other. Then, you must use derivatives to express the rates of change of these variables. Finally, you can use algebraic manipulation and the given information to solve for the desired rate of change.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all known and unknown quantities, and choosing a suitable variable to represent the changing quantity. It is also important to carefully read and understand the given information and to check the units of the final answer for accuracy.

How are related rates problems useful in real life?

Related rates problems are useful in real life as they help us understand how different quantities are related and how their rates of change affect each other. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world situations involving changing quantities.