Related Rates of a Triangle with Fixed Side Lengths

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate at which the third side of a triangle is increasing when the angle between two fixed sides is 60 degrees and increasing at a rate of 2 degrees per minute. Using the law of cosines and the chain rule, we can express the third side in terms of the two fixed sides and the angle between them, and then differentiate to find the rate of change. Converting the angle to radians will give the final answer in rad/s.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

Two sides of a triangle of fixed length measure 12m and 15m. The angle between these two sides increases at a rate of 2 degrees per minute. When the angle between these two sides is 60 degrees, at what rate is the third side increasing?

Homework Equations

That's the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what equation I should differentiate - law of sines would give be division by zero (something over (da/dt)^2), and law of cosines would give me 0 = 0, as the length of the sides are not changing. What equation am I forgetting here, or am I going at this from completely the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a more careful look at the law of cosines. Post your work if you are still confused.

Hint:

Assume the angle between the sides is a variable [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Express the third side in terms of the lengths of the two sides and the angle between them.

Differentiate with respect to t according to the chain rule, assuming [itex]\alpha = \alpha(t)[/itex]. This will give you the rate with which the length of the third side increases. You may substitute [itex]\alpha = 60^{\circ}[/itex].

Express [itex]\dot{\alpha}[/itex] in rad/s instead of degrees/s.

1. What is the concept of related rates with a triangle?

The concept of related rates with a triangle involves finding the rate of change of one side or angle of a triangle with respect to another side or angle, given constant values of the remaining sides and angles.

2. How do you determine which triangle to use in a related rates problem?

In a related rates problem, the given information will usually involve the sides or angles of a specific triangle. This will be the triangle that you use in your calculations.

3. What is the equation used to solve related rates with a triangle?

The equation used to solve related rates with a triangle is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. How do you set up a related rates problem with a triangle?

To set up a related rates problem with a triangle, you will need to identify the given information and the unknown rate of change. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to form an equation and take the derivative of both sides with respect to time. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate.

5. What are some real-life applications of related rates with a triangle?

Related rates with a triangle have various real-life applications, such as determining the rate at which the height of a ladder is changing as it slides down a wall, or finding the speed of a moving object based on the changing angle of elevation from an observer. It is also commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.