Relating force, displacement, time and velocity

In summary: Then, the .20 N vector connects and heads south east.The direction south east is the direction the current of the water is pushing the duck in.I then found the results.The resultant vector is .293 N.I then used the F=ma equation to find acceleration which I found to be .1096 m/s2.I then plugged this into v = v a t (v = .13 + .1096 (2.3)) to find that final velocity was .38 m/s.I then plugged all of this into the equation v2-v02 = 2a(x-x0).I substituted: .382-.
Ohoneo

Homework Statement

A duck has a mass of 2.7 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.13 N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.20 N in a direction of 54° south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.13 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 2.3 s while the forces are acting.

Homework Equations

F = ma
v2-v02 = 2a(x-x0)
x = x0+v0t+1/2 at2
v = vat

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew a diagram. The .13 N is a vector going from right to left. Then, the .20 N vector connects and heads south east. Because it is 54 degrees south of east, that means the interior angle where the two vectors join is 126 degrees.
I then found the results.
I found the resultant vector to be .293 N.
I then used the F=ma equation to find acceleration which I found to be .1096 m/s2.
I then plugged this into v = v a t (v = .13 + .1096 (2.3)) to find that final velocity was .38 m/s.
I then plugged all of this into the equation v2-v02 = 2a(x-x0).
I substituted: .382-.172 = 2(.1096)x
I solved for x to be .589
I then used my diagram to find tan-1(.2/.13) to get 59 degrees as an answer.

Unfortunately, all of this was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
try splitting up the .2oN force in a direction of 54 degrees south of east into vectors, and use those numbers to solve the rest.

Sniperman724 said:
try splitting up the .2oN force in a direction of 54 degrees south of east into vectors, and use those numbers to solve the rest.

Oops, sorry. I should have clarified that I did that. That's how I got the resultant vector; I found the components of the vector that had a force of .20 N. The vector in the x direction was .12 N and the vector in the y direction was -.16 N.

Ohoneo said:
As the duck paddles, a force of 0.13 N acts on it in a direction due east.
First, I drew a diagram. The .13 N is a vector going from right to left.

Right to left is due west.

vertigo said:
Right to left is due west.

Okay, apparently I'm terrible at explaining myself. I drew it left to right. Regardless, I made east the positive direction and south is the negative direction.

1. What is the relationship between force and displacement?

The relationship between force and displacement is described by the equation F = m*a, where F is the force applied, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This means that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and the rate of change of its displacement.

2. How does time affect the relationship between force and displacement?

Time does not directly affect the relationship between force and displacement. However, time is a factor in determining the acceleration of an object, which in turn affects the force needed to produce a certain displacement. The longer the duration of the force applied, the greater the displacement of the object.

3. How is velocity related to force and displacement?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. It is directly affected by the force applied to an object, as well as the duration of the force. The greater the force and the longer it is applied, the greater the change in displacement and therefore the greater the velocity.

4. What is the difference between force and displacement?

Force is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull on an object, while displacement is a vector quantity that describes the change in position of an object. Force causes displacement, and the magnitude of the force determines the magnitude of the displacement.

5. How can the relationship between force, displacement, time, and velocity be applied in real life?

The relationship between these quantities is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics to understand and predict the movement of objects. For example, in the design of a roller coaster, the force and displacement of the cars are carefully calculated to ensure a thrilling yet safe ride. In sports, understanding the relationship between force and displacement can help improve performance and prevent injuries.