1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relations and Inverse Relations

1. Mar 8, 2014 #1
    I am having difficulty understanding the following problem. I feel it should be very simple but am unsure how to interpret it.

A relation ##R## is defined on ##N## by ##aRb## if ##\frac{a}{b} \in N##. For ##c, d \in N##, under what conditions is ##c R^{-1} d##? (Exercise 8.6 from Chartrand, Polemni & Zhang's Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics; 3rd edition; page 210).

From page 192 of the same text, "Let ##A## and ##B## be two sets. By a relation ##R## from ##A## to ##B## we mean a subset of ##A x B##. That is, ##R## is a set of ordered pairs, where the first coordinate of the pair belongs to ##A## and the second coordinate belongs to ##B##. If ##(a,b) \in R##, then we say that ##a## is related to ##b## by ##R## and write ##a R b##. If ##(a,b) \notin R##, then ##a## is not related to ##b## by ##R## and we write ##a ~R b##." (Here I have used ##~R## to denote "not ##R##" because I was unsure how to cross ##R## out as it appears in the text).

On the next page (193), "Let ##R## be a relation from ##A## to ##B##. By the inverse relation of ##R## is meant the relation ##R^{-1}## from ##B## to ##A## defined by
    ##R^{-1}=\left\{ (b,a) : (a,b) \in R \right\}##."

Given these definitions I am having difficulty understanding what the notation means. For example, I understand what ##a R b## means, but I do not understand what ##a R^{-1} b## means. Because of the way ##R^{-1}## is defined (that is, ##R^{-1}=\left\{ (b,a) : (a,b) \in R \right\}##) I am not sure whether this definition is precisely ##a R^{-1} b## or ##b R^{-1} a##.

Any help with regard to this would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Basically, we have that ##aR^{-1}b## if and only if ##bRa##.

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3
    So then the solution to the problem is:

Because ##c R^{-1} d## if ##d R C##, and by the way R is defined, ##d R c## if ##\frac{d}{c} \in N##. So the condition for ##c R^{-1} d## is that ##\frac{d}{c} \in N##.

5. Mar 8, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seems ok!

6. Mar 8, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular,and this may be the point of the exercise, [itex]aRb[/itex] and [itex]aR^{-1}b[/itex] if and only if a/b= 1 or -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted