1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between acceleration and slope

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, I did an experiment to find a quantitative relationship between an objects acceleration and the slope of the surface it is on. This involves no other propulsion other than gravity itself. It is a very simple setup: A track with one end lifted to various heights, a motion detector hooked up to a computer to log speed, acceleration and position, and a little cart to go down the track.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used linear regression and the data collected, and got a=.14h-0.9
    BUT
    I was expecting a square root somewhere in there and an asymptote of about 9.8 because it obviously wont accelerate faster than gravity.

I already recieved credit for the work, but I want to know the actual formula (if any)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Figure it out. What's the component of gravity acting down the incline?

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    I'm sorry, but I just dont know.

Remember, I'm only at a high school level. I've only gotten as far as kinematics, and through my electrical work, I know a bit about electrical theory.

But i will look into this subject further. I want to impress the teacher:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  5. Mar 7, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

6. Mar 7, 2008 #5
    Thank you!

At this point in time, I'm a sponge, so I'll soak up anything you hurl at me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?