Determining Acceleration g from Slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of estimating acceleration due to gravity by dropping metal balls and obtaining their time of fall. The data is then plotted on a log-log graph and a function is calculated, with a slope of 0.497. The individual is unsure of how to use this data to estimate acceleration and considers using kinematic equations. However, the slope calculated does not directly relate to acceleration and a squared time vs height plot may be a better approach.
Youngster

Homework Statement

For my laboratory exercise, I'm given the task of estimating the acceleration due to gravity near the Earth's surface by dropping metal balls from a specified height, and obtaining the time it takes to reach a surface.

I did all that, and plotted the data on some log-log graph paper (since the data seemed to possesses a power law relationship) and calculated the function of my graph:

f(x) = 0.045x0.497

Where 0.497 is the slope of my graph. I'm not entirely certain how I can use this data to estimate an acceleration. I suppose I don't really know what this slope is, but I'm thinking its a velocity

Homework Equations

I suppose kinematic equations might be of use here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't say I really tried... I was thinking that perhaps the slope had some sort of specific dimensions, but after running some test calculations, my results seemed very off.

Any advice on how I can approach this? I'm aware that one can try squaring the times, and then drawing that graph, but my instructions state that I use my calculated slope.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use this slope to get acceleration. This slope is related to the quadratic nature of the uniformly accelerated motion, not the value of acceleration. Acceleration can be obtained from the slope of a squared time vs height plot.

Related to Determining Acceleration g from Slope

1. What is acceleration and how is it related to slope?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is related to slope because the slope of a position-time graph represents the velocity of an object, and the slope of a velocity-time graph represents the acceleration of an object.

2. How can the slope of a position-time graph be used to determine acceleration?

The slope of a position-time graph can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This slope value represents the average velocity of an object over a given time period. By taking the derivative of this position-time function, we can find the slope of the tangent line at any point, which represents the instantaneous velocity. This instantaneous velocity can then be used to determine the acceleration of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration from slope?

The formula for calculating acceleration from slope is a = Δv/Δt, where a represents acceleration, Δv represents the change in velocity, and Δt represents the change in time. This formula can be derived from the slope formula, which is rise/run or Δy/Δx. In the context of acceleration, rise represents the change in velocity and run represents the change in time.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or changing direction in the negative direction. For example, if a car is traveling at a velocity of 20 m/s and then slows down to a velocity of 10 m/s, its acceleration would be negative because there is a decrease in velocity over time.

5. How does the slope of a velocity-time graph represent acceleration?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, which is acceleration. A positive slope indicates a positive acceleration (speeding up), a negative slope indicates a negative acceleration (slowing down), and a horizontal line indicates zero acceleration (constant velocity).