1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between charge carriers per unit volume and resistance

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    Why is the number of charge carriers per unit volume is inversely proportional to resistance?If there is more charges carrier, it doesn't increase the collision between free electron which causes in increase of resistance?sorry for my unclear concept of Electricity circuit.I hope there will be someone to help.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2
    Are you confident about what is meant by 'inversely proportional'?
    More charge carriers will reduce resistance..... do you see it?

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    when the number of charge carrier per unit volume increase, the resistance decrease.Is that means inversely proportional?I dont understand why more charge carrier will reduce resistance @@ because it helps transferring charge?sorry i am really confused.

5. Jan 28, 2012 #4
    Also, is the lower the resistance, the higher the Drift Velocity?this also makes me confused.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5
    Low resistance means that a high current can flow.
    Current is the amount of charge (charge carriers) flowing per second so basically more charge carriers means more current which means LOW resistance.
    This is a very much simplified explanation..... hope it helps

7. Jan 28, 2012 #6
    thx very much:)it helps a lot:)but if higher the drift velocity, is that mean low resistance?because if low resistance, the charged particles can pass through faster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook