Relative kinematics and radius of curvature

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving according to the law r = 8t^2 j and a disk rotating with constant angular speed ω = 3k. The task is to find the velocity and acceleration of the particle with respect to an observer placed at the edge of the disk, as well as the radius of curvature for the particle's trajectory with respect to the observer. The equations for the observer's position, velocity, and acceleration have been determined, but the second derivative of the particle's trajectory (d^2y/dx^2) is needed to solve for the radius of curvature.
springo

Homework Statement

(Only need help for b) I think but I'll post the whole problem)
(All values are SI units)
(O; i, j, k) orthonormal basis.
A particle moves following this law: r = 8t2 j
A disk with radius 2 in the plane XOY rotates around Z with constant angular speed: ω = 3 k.
At the time the particle is 2m away from the origin, find:
a) Velocity and acceleration for the particle with respect to an observer placed at the edge of the disk, linked to it.
b) Radius of curvature for the trajectory of the particle with respect to the observer.

Homework Equations

I got rid of a) I think:
For O being the observer and P the particle I found that:
OP = 2 [ cos(3t) i + (4t2 - sin(3t)) j ]
v = 24t2 i + 16t j
a = 96t i + (16 - 72t2) j
t = 1/2 therefore:
v = 6 i + 8 j
a = 48 i - 2j

The Attempt at a Solution

For b) I think I should use:
1/ρ = cos3(3t)*d2y/dx2
But how do I find d2y/dx2?
Or if this is not how it's done please correct me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: The problem is originally written in Spanish so please bear with me if I mistranslated any word.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. Could someone give me hand? Thanks a lot.

Your attempt at finding the radius of curvature using the equation 1/ρ = cos3(3t)*d2y/dx2 is correct. However, in order to find d2y/dx2, you will need to find the second derivative of the y-coordinate of the particle's position with respect to time. This can be done by taking the derivative of the velocity function you found in part a) with respect to time. So, in this case, d2y/dx2 = 16.

Substituting this value into the equation 1/ρ = cos3(3t)*d2y/dx2, we get:
1/ρ = cos3(3t)*16
Since we are looking for the radius of curvature at t = 1/2, we can plug this value into the equation and solve for ρ:
1/ρ = cos3(3(1/2))*16
1/ρ = cos(9/2)*16
ρ = 16/cos(9/2)
ρ ≈ 18.38 m

Therefore, the radius of curvature for the trajectory of the particle with respect to the observer is approximately 18.38 meters.

1. What is relative kinematics?

Relative kinematics refers to the study of the motion and position of objects relative to one another. This is different from absolute kinematics, which focuses on the motion and position of objects in relation to a fixed reference point.

2. How is relative kinematics calculated?

Relative kinematics is calculated using the principles of vector algebra and calculus. This involves analyzing the velocity, acceleration, and displacement vectors of objects and their relative positions to determine their relative motion.

3. What is the radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is a measure of how sharply a curve bends at a particular point. It is defined as the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

4. How is the radius of curvature related to relative kinematics?

The radius of curvature is an important parameter in relative kinematics as it helps determine the rate of change of an object's direction. In other words, it is a measure of the object's curvature or how much it deviates from a straight path.

5. What are some real-world applications of relative kinematics and radius of curvature?

Relative kinematics and radius of curvature have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics. They are used to analyze the motion of objects in machines, vehicles, and other mechanical systems. They are also essential in understanding the dynamics of moving objects, such as projectiles and celestial bodies.