Relative speed, center of mass, kinetic energy

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving the calculation of the total kinetic energy of a system, but was unable to do so due to a lack of understanding. He then generalized the result to include the case of multiple particles.
alaix

Homework Statement

Let m1, m2 and m3, the mass of 3 particles and v12, v23, v13 their respective relative velocities.

a) Show that the total kinetic energy of the system in relation to the center of mass is:

( m1m2v12^2 + m2m3v23^2 + m1m3v13^2 ) / (m1+m2+m3)

b) generalize this result

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I DID attempt a lot of stuff but I feel like a headless chicken running around here...
I know I won't have any answer before I post any try on here, but a tip on how/where to start would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
alaix said:
I DID attempt a lot of stuff but I feel like a headless chicken running around here...

I tried to imagine you as a headless chicken running around :rofl: ...But DO show some of that lot of stuff you attempted.
First, what is the meaning of those relative velocities v12, v23, v13? How can you express the relative velocities of pairs of particles with their velocities with respect to the CM?

ehild

I think the expression is not correct, it is twice the KE.

But it is a nice tricky problem, so I step further.
The velocities are vectors,

[tex]\vec v_{ij}=\vec v_i-\vec v_j[/tex]

[tex]m_i m_j \vec v_{ij}^2=m_i m_j(\vec v_i^2+\vec v_j^2-2 \vec v_i \vec v_j)[/tex]
The numerator of the original expression is
[tex]N=m_1 m_2\vec v_{12}^2+m_2 m_3\vec v_{23}^2+m_3 m_1\vec v_{31}^2=m_1 m_2(\vec v_1^2+\vec v_2^2-2 \vec v_1 \vec v_2)+m_2 m_3(\vec v_2^2+\vec v_3^2-2 \vec v_2\vec v_3)+m_3 m_1(\vec v_3^2+\vec v_1^2-2 \vec v_3\vec v_1)[/tex]

Upon rearranging ,

[tex]m_1v_1^2 (m_2 +m_3 )+m_2 v_2^2 (m_1+m_3 )+m_3 v_3^2 (m_1+m_2 )-2(m_1 m_2\vec v_1\vec v_2+m_2 m_3 \vec v_2\vec v_3+m_3 m_1\vec v_3\vec v_1)[/tex]

Here comes the trick:

[tex]m_1v_1^2 (m_2 +m_3 )=m_1v_1^2 (m_1+m_2 +m_3 )-m_1^2v_1^2
[/tex]

so

[tex]N=(m_1v_1^2 +m_2v_2^2+m_3v_3^2)(m_1+m_2 +m_3)-(m_1^2 v_1^2+m_2^2 v_2^2+m_3^2 v_3^2+2 m_1m_2 \vec v_1 \vec v_2+2 m_2 m_3 \vec v_2 \vec v_3+2m_3 m_1 \vec v_3\vec v_1)
[/tex]

Let be the total mass M.
The first term is 2M KE. The second term is the square of the total momentum, (Ʃmivi)^2=P^2, and we know that the KE of the CM is KECM=P^2/(2M)

The original expression is

[tex]\frac{m_1m_2 \vec v_{12}^2+m_2 m_3 \vec v_{23}^2+m_3 m_1 \vec v_{31}^2}{M}=2KE-2KE_{CM}[/tex]

twice the KE with respect to the CM. The factor 2 is missing from the original expression.

ehild

Last edited:

What is relative speed?

Relative speed is the velocity of one object in relation to another object. It takes into account the direction and speed of both objects to determine the overall relative speed between them.

What is center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in a system or object where all of its mass is evenly distributed. It is often referred to as the balance point and can be found by considering the distribution of mass throughout the object.

How is center of mass related to relative speed?

The center of mass is directly related to the relative speed of two objects. When two objects are in motion, their relative speed is determined by the distance between their respective centers of mass. The closer the centers of mass are to each other, the smaller the relative speed will be.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, meaning that an object with a greater mass or higher velocity will have a greater kinetic energy.

How is kinetic energy related to relative speed?

Kinetic energy is directly related to relative speed, as an increase in relative speed will result in an increase in kinetic energy. This is because an increase in speed means an increase in an object's velocity, which is a factor in the equation for kinetic energy.