Relative velocity of river flowing

In summary, if you aim your boat at point C on the north shore, it will take 120m to reach it. The boat will be travelling at 0.5m/s when it gets there.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

A 400m wide river flows from west to east at 30 m/min. Your boat moves at 100m.min relative to the water no matter which direction you point. To cross the river, you start from a dock at point A on the south bank. There is a boat landing directly opposite at point B on the north bank, and also one at point C, 75m downstream from B.

(a) Where on the north shore will you land if you point your boat perpendicular to the water current, and what distance will you have traveled?

(b)If you initially aim your boat directly toward point C and do not change the bearing relative to the shore, where on the north shore will you land?

(c) To reach point C:(i)at what bearing must you aim you boat, (ii) how long will it take to cross the river, (iii) what distance do you travel, and (iv) what is the speed of your boat as measured by an observer standing on the river bank?

[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/zvsuk][PLAIN]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/zvsuk.jpg[/url][/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

Vb/w= velocity of boat relative to water
Vw/e= velocity of water realtive to earth
Vb/e= velocity of boat relative to earth.

Vb/w=100m/min=1.66m/s
Vw/e= 30m/mon=0.5m/s

V=D/T

The Attempt at a Solution

A:
Vb/w=Dy/T

1.67m/s=400m/T
T=240 seconds

Vw/e=Dx/T
0.5m/s=Dx/240seconds
Dx=120m from B

B: This is where I am stuck. I do not understand the question.It says to keep my bearing relative to the shore and I am not sure what that means.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:
B: This is where I am stuck. I do not understand the question.It says to keep my bearing relative to the shore and I am not sure what that means.
It means you keep the boat's angle to the shore the same. It's just the same as the first part, but with a different fixed velocity of boat relative to water.

haruspex said:
It means you keep the boat's angle to the shore the same. It's just the same as the first part, but with a different fixed velocity of boat relative to water.

the south shore?

haruspex said:

Is it this angle?

[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/2e923][PLAIN]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/2e923.jpg[/url][/PLAIN]

Yes, that's the bearing. But not, of course, the path the boat will take.

1. What is relative velocity of a river?

The relative velocity of a river refers to the speed and direction at which the water is flowing in relation to a stationary observer or object.

2. How is the relative velocity of a river calculated?

The relative velocity of a river is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the river from the velocity of the observer or object. This can be done using vector addition or subtraction.

3. What factors can affect the relative velocity of a river?

The relative velocity of a river can be affected by the speed and direction of the current, the shape and size of the riverbed, and any obstacles or changes in the river's path.

4. Why is understanding relative velocity of a river important?

Understanding the relative velocity of a river can help with navigation and safety, as well as with predicting and managing the flow of water in rivers for irrigation or energy production purposes.

5. Can the relative velocity of a river change over time?

Yes, the relative velocity of a river can change over time due to various factors such as changes in weather patterns, water levels, or human activities such as dam construction or river dredging.