Calculating Relative Velocity in a Rotating Beam System

In summary: Additionally, there is a damper attached between the two points and the velocity of the damper can also be determined using the same equation. In summary, the equation v = ωx can be used to determine the rate of change of x and the velocity of the damper at points of rotation.
mholland
I've attached a drawing, simplified of the layout of the system I'm working on.
I've figured out a function to give me the length of the beam 'x' for a given angle, easy enough, but i need to know the velocity that the end of the rotating beam moves relative to the lower fixed end, so the rate of change of 'x'.
Now i know that the rotating beams angular velocity is ω=2.289 rad/s and a=1077625 and b=522600 and the length of the rotating beam is 1005mm, and the fixed part is 260mm. ω=2.289 rad/s

Basically, there is a damper attached between the two points and i need to know the velocity it'll be moving at points of its rotation

Any pointers would be great, I'm baffled!

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 379
Engineering news on Phys.org
The rate of change of x can be determined using the equation v = ωx, where v is the velocity of the end of the rotating beam relative to the lower fixed end, ω is the angular velocity of the rotating beam, and x is the length of the beam. Therefore, we can calculate the velocity of the end of the rotating beam relative to the lower fixed end by multiplying the angular velocity (2.289 rad/s) by the length of the rotating beam (1005 mm). This gives a result of v = 2289 mm/s.

What is relative velocity in a rotating beam system?

Relative velocity in a rotating beam system refers to the movement of an object or particle in relation to another object or reference point within a rotating system. It takes into account both the linear velocity and angular velocity of the objects involved.

How do you calculate relative velocity in a rotating beam system?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to first determine the linear velocity and angular velocity of the objects involved. Then, you can use the formula v = vlinear + vangular to find the relative velocity. This takes into account the vector addition of the two velocities.

What is the difference between absolute velocity and relative velocity in a rotating beam system?

Absolute velocity refers to the actual velocity of an object in space, while relative velocity takes into account the movement of an object in relation to another object or reference point within a rotating system. Absolute velocity does not consider the rotational motion of the system, whereas relative velocity does.

What factors can affect the relative velocity in a rotating beam system?

The relative velocity in a rotating beam system can be affected by the linear velocity, angular velocity, and the direction of movement of the objects involved. Other factors such as the radius of rotation, mass of the objects, and any external forces acting on the system can also impact the relative velocity.

Why is calculating relative velocity important in a rotating beam system?

Calculating relative velocity is important in a rotating beam system because it helps us understand the motion of objects within the system and how they are affected by the rotation. It is also essential in engineering and physics applications, such as designing machinery and analyzing the movement of particles in a centrifuge.