Relative volume of combusted hydrogen

In summary, during a conversation about the expected volume of steam after igniting Brown's gas at 20°C / 1atm, the topic of a solid container with a freely-moving piston was brought up. The speaker asked for more specific conditions, such as the steam expanding against ambient pressure, and if this was for a homework assignment. The other person advised against performing combustion experiments, especially for inexperienced students, and suggested seeking guidance from a professional combustion researcher.
bobbyg
Hi,

If I had a volume of Brown's gas at 20°C / 1atm, what would the expected volume [of the resultant steam] be immediately after it was ignited?

Thanks!
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
bobbyg said:
If I had a volume of Brown's gas at 20°C / 1atm, what would the expected volume [of the resultant steam] be immediately after it was ignited?

In a sufficiently strong container it would remain unchanged. Please specify the conditions.

DrStupid said:
In a sufficiently strong container it would remain unchanged. Please specify the conditions.
The container is solid, with a freely-moving piston of negligible mass

bobbyg said:
The container is solid, with a freely-moving piston of negligible mass
You will want to nail the scenario down more tightly than that.

For instance, do you want the steam to more or less freely (and adiabatically) expand until it has reached ambient pressure? This, while doing work on the piston against the force of ambient pressure on its other side?

Oh... and is this homework by any chance?

How many moles of gas are there before combustion? How many moles of gas are they after combustion? Is the reaction assumed to take place at constant temperature, or is the system insulated?

Edit: don't worry. I will just try some physical experiments. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Last edited:
bobbyg said:
Edit: don't worry. I will just try some physical experiments.

"Don't worry" and "just try some physical experiments" with Brown's gas don't fit together.

Likes jrmichler
"Don't worry" also does not go well with combustion experiments performed by inexperienced students, especially if it is hydrogen. I am currently assisting with a combustion course and these kind of questions (e.g. computing volume expansion of a combustion process at constant pressure ) are covered in the second lecture.
My advice as a professional combustion researcher to you is: do not do combustion experiments.

1. What is the relative volume of combusted hydrogen?

The relative volume of combusted hydrogen refers to the amount of space that is occupied by hydrogen gas when it is burned in a combustion reaction. It is typically measured in liters or cubic meters.

2. How is the relative volume of combusted hydrogen calculated?

The relative volume of combusted hydrogen can be calculated by dividing the amount of hydrogen gas produced by the combustion reaction by the initial volume of hydrogen gas before the reaction. This calculation can be done using the ideal gas law.

3. Why is the relative volume of combusted hydrogen important?

The relative volume of combusted hydrogen is important because it can help determine the efficiency of a combustion reaction. It can also provide valuable information about the amount of energy that can be produced from a given amount of hydrogen gas.

4. How does the relative volume of combusted hydrogen compare to other fuels?

The relative volume of combusted hydrogen is generally larger than other fossil fuels, such as gasoline or diesel. This means that a smaller amount of hydrogen can produce the same amount of energy as a larger amount of these other fuels.

5. Can the relative volume of combusted hydrogen vary?

Yes, the relative volume of combusted hydrogen can vary depending on factors such as the purity of the hydrogen gas, the temperature and pressure at which the combustion reaction occurs, and the presence of other substances in the reaction. It is important to control these variables in order to accurately measure the relative volume of combusted hydrogen.