Relativistic acceleration with integration problem

In summary: Try this: f(v)=sin θv. Then use the substitution t= arcsin (v/c).This should give you the result you're looking for.In summary, the spaceship passengers feel and acceleration equal to that of gravity of the earth’s surface, g. If the spaceship undergoes this acceleration for a time T, the final velocity is given by: V=c[1+(c/gT)^2]^(-1/2)
Gravitino22

Homework Statement

Consider a spaceship that accelerates so that the passengers feel and acceleration equal to that of gravity of the earth’s surface, g. If the spaceship undergoes this acceleration for a time T, show that the final velocity is given by:
V=c[1+(c/gT)^2]^(-1/2)

Homework Equations

F=(gamma^3)ma where gamma= [1-(v/c)^2]^-1/2 (the Lorentz factor)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the passengers always feel the acceleration of gravity, you don’t actually feel acceleration you feel the force mg. So at any time the passengers must feel mg so:

mg=(gamma^3)ma
a=g/(gamma^3)

I converted gamma into the function and tried to integrate to obtain V but that’s where I got stuck .

a=g[1-(v/c)^2]^3/2

I trying to integrate with respect to dt but v it self is a dx/dt so I am wierded out by that. I went to the professor and he gave me a hint in which I have to convert adt into another thing using the chain rule (whatever that means).
Somehow I think I have to integrate with respect to dv and have my limit be gT instead of T but iam not sure how to get to there.

Any help is greatly appreciated I have my test this week and I need to get a A :(.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gravitino22! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your professor is probably thinking of something like
∫ f(v) dt = ∫ [f(v) / (dv/dt)] dv/dt dt = … :wink:

Use the definition of acceleration is to express the LHS in terms of v and t.

vela said:
Use the definition of acceleration is to express the LHS in terms of v and t.

Thats what i was trying

a=dv/dt then pass dt to the RHS to integrate and which also has a v=dx/dt which is where iam confused.

And for tiny-tim's response

Iam not seeing where your going with that...

=f(v)dtdv? double integration?

a=dv/dt, so you can write dv/dt=g[1-(v/c)^2]^3/2. You can integrate that to get a relationship between v and t. It's true that v=dx/dt, but since you're not asked to find x as a function of t, this equation is irrelevant.

The differential equation is separable, so you can get all the v's on one side and t on the other and then integrate each side.

Thanks vela,

I was trying that approach earlier but i can't solve that nasty integral, going to keep trying

Use the trig substitution v/c=sin θ. Then don't make the really stupid mistake I did, and the answer (for the integral) will pop right out.

1. What is relativistic acceleration?

Relativistic acceleration is the change in velocity of an object as it approaches the speed of light. This type of acceleration is described by Einstein's theory of relativity and takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is relativistic acceleration calculated?

Relativistic acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = γ^3 * a0, where a is the relativistic acceleration, γ is the Lorentz factor, and a0 is the non-relativistic acceleration. This equation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the object's acceleration.

3. What is an integration problem in relation to relativistic acceleration?

An integration problem in the context of relativistic acceleration refers to the process of finding the change in velocity of an object over time by integrating the relativistic acceleration equation. This is necessary because the object's velocity is constantly changing as it approaches the speed of light.

4. How is an integration problem related to the concept of relativistic acceleration?

Integration is a mathematical tool used to calculate the change in velocity of an object over time. In the case of relativistic acceleration, integration is used to solve for the object's velocity at a given time, taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic acceleration and integration?

Relativistic acceleration and integration are important concepts in the field of physics and have many real-world applications. They are used in the design of particle accelerators, in space travel, and in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as satellites and spacecrafts. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies like GPS and particle detectors.