Relativistic Energy Equations: When to Use Each

In summary, the equations E = \gamma mc^2 and E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 can both be used as total energy equations, depending on the information available. The first equation is useful for calculating the energy of a moving particle, while the second equation can be used for any case, including particles at rest and light. Additionally, the equations can be connected to the velocity of the object through v = pc^2/E and v = dE/dp. It is recommended to use the second equation whenever possible.
Kara386
When would I use the equation ##E = \gamma mc^2## and when would I use ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2##? I'm a little confused because my textbook calls them both total energy equations. I know that for a particle at rest it has energy ##E=mc^2##. It can't be at rest for the equation ##E = \gamma mc^2## because ##\gamma## involves velocity, so I assume the object has to be moving. So when do I use that equation? And when do I use the ##E^2## one?

Thanks for any help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
When would I use the equation E=γmc^2 and when would I use E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2
I would recommend always using the second one. It reduces to the first whenever appropriate.

Likes Kara386
You can use any of them for a particle at rest; gamma is just 1 for zero velocity. The formula with gamma is no good for light because it is undefined for speed c. The energy squared relation is good for all cases, including light. Obviously, m is 0 for light. For m not zero, you can demonstrate algebraically that it is the same as the gamma formula.

Likes Kara386
Seems like the best thing then is to stick with the ##E^2## equation. Thanks! :)

Kara386 said:
When would I use the equation ##E = \gamma mc^2## and when would I use ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2##? I'm a little confused because my textbook calls them both total energy equations. I know that for a particle at rest it has energy ##E=mc^2##. It can't be at rest for the equation ##E = \gamma mc^2## because ##\gamma## involves velocity, so I assume the object has to be moving. So when do I use that equation? And when do I use the ##E^2## one?

Thanks for any help! :)
I would use each of the equations when it appears useful. For example, if I knew the mass and gamma factor of a particle and wanted the energy, I would use the first equation.

If I knew the mass and the momentum, I would use the second.

Likes Dale
The drawback to using [itex]E = \sqrt{p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4}[/itex] is that it's harder to connect it with the velocity. That extra information is provided by:

[itex]v = \frac{pc^2}{E}[/itex]

That's valid whether the object is massless or not. Another relation that gives the same answer, but is interesting because it is true both classically and relativistically, is:

[itex]v = \frac{dE}{dp}[/itex]

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the difference between the relativistic energy equation and the classical energy equation?

The relativistic energy equation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while the classical energy equation does not. This means that the relativistic energy equation is more accurate when dealing with objects moving at high speeds.

2. When should I use the relativistic energy equation instead of the classical energy equation?

The relativistic energy equation should be used when dealing with objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, typically above 10% of the speed of light. At these high speeds, the effects of special relativity become significant and the classical energy equation is no longer accurate.

3. Can the relativistic energy equation be applied to all forms of energy?

Yes, the relativistic energy equation can be applied to all forms of energy, including kinetic energy, potential energy, and rest energy. It is a universal equation for calculating the energy of a system.

4. How does the relativistic energy equation relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc2?

The relativistic energy equation is a more general form of Einstein's equation, E=mc2. While E=mc2 only applies to objects at rest, the relativistic energy equation can be used for objects in motion. It also takes into account the kinetic energy of an object, whereas E=mc2 only calculates the object's rest energy.

5. Are there any limitations to the relativistic energy equation?

Like any equation, the relativistic energy equation has its limitations. It assumes that the object is moving in a straight line at a constant speed, and does not take into account factors such as acceleration or external forces. It is also only applicable to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, so it is not a suitable equation for everyday objects moving at slower speeds.