Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the relativistic generalization of Euler's equation, which involves the enthalpy, fluid pressure, and four-velocity components. The question is whether this equation can be written in spherical coordinates using a covariant derivative. The expert confirms that this is possible and explains how to transform the equation to Cartesian coordinates. There is no need to consider the origin of the equation when determining its form in different coordinates.
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just wanted to check that I am thinking about the coordinate transition correctly. The relativistic generalization of Euler's equation is (from Landau & Lifshitz vol. 6)

## hu^\nu \frac{\partial u_\mu}{\partial x^\nu} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial x^\mu} + u_\mu u^\nu \frac{\partial P}{\partial x^\nu} = 0 ##.

where ## h ## is the enthalpy, ## P ## is the fluid pressure, and ## u^\mu ## are components of the four-velocity. The Greek indices range from 0 to 4. To get this same equation in spherical coordinates (or any new, barred coordinates), I can just bar all of the indices and replace the derivative of ## u_{\overline{\mu}} ## with a covariant derivative, yes? In other words, can I simply write

## hu^{\overline{\nu}} u_{\overline{\mu}; \overline{\nu}} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial x^{\overline{\mu}}} + u_{\overline{\mu}} u^{\overline{\nu}} \frac{\partial P}{\partial x^{\overline{\nu}}} = 0 ##,

where the semicolon represents covariant differentiation?

The reason I am a little worried is that, to get to the relativistic Euler equation in the first place, the four-divergence of the energy-momentum tensor was used. I am wondering whether I have to go back and take the covariant four-divergence of the energy-momentum tensor expressed in barred coordinates.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Geofleur said:
The Greek indices range from 0 to 4.
A 5 dimensional manifold?

Oops, I meant 0 to 3 (I keep doing that!).

Likes PWiz
I don't think there's a problem with what you've done. An easy way to check is to use the unbarred indices for spherical coordinates/any non-Cartersian coordinates (i.e., write the 2nd equation as it is but use unbarred indices), then transform your 2nd equation to Cartesian coordinates (the barred indices). The derivatives of the fluid pressure transform like a tensor (since the derivative of a scalar field is a tensor) and so do the four velocities, and so you can just replace all their indices to barred ones. The covariant derivative will also transform like a tensor, but since the Christoffel symbols vanish in Cartesian coordinates, it just reduces to the regular partial derivative. You then get the first equation (but with barred indices, although that doesn't really matter). I don't think you need to bother with where the original equation comes from to determine it's form in different coordinates. (I mean you just need the tensor transformation law to see how the tensor equation changes under diffeomorphisms)

Last edited:
Likes Geofleur

1. What is the Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates?

The Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates is a set of equations that describe the conservation of energy, momentum, and mass in a fluid system in a curved spacetime, taking into account the effects of relativity.

2. How is the Relativistic Euler Equation derived?

The Relativistic Euler Equation is derived from the more general equations of General Relativity, which describe the relationship between matter and spacetime. It takes into account the effects of gravity and the curvature of spacetime on fluid dynamics.

3. What are the main differences between the Relativistic Euler Equation and the classical Euler Equation?

The main differences between the Relativistic Euler Equation and the classical Euler Equation are the inclusion of terms for relativistic effects, such as time dilation and length contraction, and the use of spherical coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. The relativistic version also takes into account the curvature of spacetime, while the classical version assumes a flat spacetime.

4. What are some applications of the Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates?

The Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates has many applications in astrophysics, especially in the study of black holes, neutron stars, and other extreme objects. It is also used in cosmology to model the large-scale structure of the universe and the dynamics of the early universe.

5. What are the limitations of the Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates?

While the Relativistic Euler Equation in Spherical Coordinates is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of fluids in curved spacetime, it does have some limitations. It does not take into account quantum effects and is not applicable in situations where the curvature of spacetime is not significant, such as in everyday fluid dynamics problems.