Comparing Electron Mass in Different Speeds

In summary, the electron is 1.5 times heavier in a particle accelerator than it is in a computer monitor.
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

An electron has a rest mass of 9.11 x 10^-31 kg. The speed of the electron in the cathode ray tube of your computer monitor is 4.00 x 10^7 m/s. However, the speed of the electron is 0.98 c in a particle accelerator used in cancer therapy. How many times heavier is the electron in the particle accelerator than in the computer monitor?

Homework Equations

m = mo/ sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

mo1 = m sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
= (9.11 x 10^-31 kg) sqrt{ 1 - (4.00 x 10^7 m/s)^2/(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)^2}
= (9.11 x 10^-31 kg) sqrt(0.017777777)
= (9.11 x 10-31 kg)(0.13333333)
= 1.21 x 10^-31 kg

mo2 = (9.11 x 10-31 kg) sqrt{1 - (0.98 c)2/c^2}
= (9.11 x 10-31 kg)(0.198997)
= 1.81 x 10^-31 kg

(1.81 x 10^-31 kg)/(1.21 x 10^-31 kg)
= 1.496 times

Therefore the electron is approx. 1.5 times heavier in the particle accelerator than it is in the computer monitor.

Is this correct?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are correct but I am getting different values for mo1 and mo2 than you. For your value of mo1, you forgot to do 1 minus (4.00 x 10^7 m/s)^2/(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)^2. Instead you just took the second quantity and took the square root. For mo2, it looks correct, but when I calculate it I get a different answer. Maybe retype all the numbers into your calculator again and see if it was a typing error.

did you get (9.03 x 10^-31 kg) for m1? and (1.81 x 10^-31 kg) for m2?

but now it doesn't make sense, cause those answers are suggesting that the electron is heavier in the computer monitor than the particle accelerator

i just realized why this whole thing is completely wrong. i need to find m, not mo so the equation is completely wrong.

the equation is m = mo/ sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)

so when i put all the numbers in for both sides

m1 = 9.19 x 10^-31 kg
m2 = 4.58 x 10^-31 kg

but still m2 should be heavier cause its in a particle accelerator, and the speed is much more significant..

Your m2 should be 4.58 x 10^-30 kg. Your off by an order of magnitude.

i see that now, sorry, thanks for helping me, honestly.

1. What is relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept in physics that describes the mass of an object when it is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's mass.

2. How does relativistic mass differ from rest mass?

Rest mass is the mass of an object when it is at rest, while relativistic mass takes into account the object's speed. As an object approaches the speed of light, its relativistic mass increases while its rest mass remains constant.

3. Can an object's relativistic mass exceed its rest mass?

Yes, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its relativistic mass can become infinitely large while its rest mass remains constant. However, it is impossible for an object to actually reach the speed of light.

4. How is relativistic mass related to energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, energy and mass are equivalent. This means that an object's relativistic mass can also be seen as its energy. As an object's speed increases, its energy and relativistic mass also increase.

5. What are the implications of relativistic mass for space travel?

Relativistic mass has significant implications for space travel, as it means that the mass of a spacecraft will increase as it approaches the speed of light. This makes it more difficult to accelerate the spacecraft, and also means that more energy will be required to reach high speeds. Additionally, time dilation effects caused by relativistic mass may make it difficult for astronauts to synchronize their clocks with those on Earth.