1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic version of newton's second law with parallel force

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Given F=dp/dt. If the force is parallel to velocity show that F=γ3ma."

2. Relevant equations
    F=dp/dt and p=γmv

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the force is the first derivative of the momentum with respect to time, and γ and v both vary with time since there is a net force causing both quantities to change, take the derivative of p using multiplication rule: dp/dt = m[γ'v+γa] γ'=γ3*v/c2 so this would change dp/dt to dp/dt = m[γ3(v/c)2+γa] After this I can't think of anywhere to go that could simplify this to the desired equation F=γ3ma.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2
    are you sure about [tex]\gamma[/tex] and its derivative? there must be something wrong about it

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I did the derivative wrong, I forgot to do chain rule for the v2 so the derivative of γ would be γ3*va/c2

So then dp/dt = γma[γ2(v/c)2+1]. Assuming the math I did was right the only way I could get what I'm looking for is if (v/c)2 is equal to 1-1/γ2 so when you distribute you'd get γ2-1+1, then it would give dp/dt = F = γ3ma what I'm looking for.

I'll have to mess around with this.

[edit]
    Coincidentally (v/c)2 does equal what it needs to equal to simplify to what the equation needs to be.

Thank you a lot Pull :)
    [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook