Relativity and terminal velocity

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of an object being accelerated to the speed of light in a hypothetical scenario using an evacuated tube. It was determined that the object would not be able to reach the speed of light due to its unattainable nature. Additionally, the conversation explored the idea of an object being released at infinity and reaching a planet with a velocity equal to the escape velocity. It was concluded that the object would impact the planet with a speed equal to the planet's escape velocity. The conversation also touched on the concept of black holes and their effect on terminal velocity.
mrcotton
Hi
If I had an object and a very long evacuated tube. Presumably the object with only the force of gravity acting on it would continuously accelerate and hence would have no terminal velocity.
However we know that it cannot go faster than light.
If my long tube is say pointing towards the centre of the Earth, how long would it have to be for an object to accelerate up to this speed.

If an object were to be released at infinity in a universe with only one planet would it reach the planet with a velocity equal to the escape velocity or would it have reached the speed of light.Any

thoughts to help my thoughts greatly appreciated
D

Physics news on Phys.org
mrcotton said:
Hi
If I had an object and a very long evacuated tube. Presumably the object with only the force of gravity acting on it would continuously accelerate and hence would have no terminal velocity.
However we know that it cannot go faster than light.
That's true but it also cannot reach the speed of light.

mrcotton said:
If my long tube is say pointing towards the centre of the Earth, how long would it have to be for an object to accelerate up to this speed.
Since it can never reach the speed of light, how about infinitely long?

mrcotton said:
If an object were to be released at infinity in a universe with only one planet would it reach the planet with a velocity equal to the escape velocity or would it have reached the speed of light.
If it's at infinity, then it will take forever to get to earth.

mrcotton said:
Any thoughts to help my thoughts greatly appreciated
D
I hope you didn't think my suggestion that the tube be infinitely long was serious. The fact of the matter is that it is impossible.

mrcotton said:
If an object were to be released at infinity in a universe with only one planet would it reach the planet with a velocity equal to the escape velocity or would it have reached the speed of light.

It would impact the planet with a speed equal to the planet's escape velocity. The way to see this is to imagine the situation in reverse: the object is launched upward from the planet's surface and eventually comes to rest "at infinity." The escape velocity is defined as the launch speed required for this to happen.

The_Duck said:
It would impact the planet with a speed equal to the planet's escape velocity. The way to see this is to imagine the situation in reverse: the object is launched upward from the planet's surface and eventually comes to rest "at infinity." The escape velocity is defined as the launch speed required for this to happen.
I like your answer better. Disregard mine.

Hi George, and The_Duck, thanks for responding.
There is no need to disregard an answer they all make me think.
I was under the impreeion we needed a long tube infinetly long to bring a unit mass from infinity to define the joules per kilogram at that point in space.

So the velocity an object would reach a planet at is its escape velocity.
If we had an object with enough mass can we have a large enough force to accelerate an object up to the speed of light.

Would a black hole with an escape velocity of the speed of light attract an object from infinity to arrive at the speed of light?

Black holes have varying masses and if I remember correctly that the escape velocity is dependent on the amount of mass contained within a specific volume.

Thanks again, all responses help me in my own thinking processes

D

The terminal velocity for a test particle initially at rest at infinity, and free falling radially towards a non rotating spherical massive object, is given by:

##v = c \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{rc^2}}##

where v is the velocity of the particle measured by an stationary observer at r. If the massive body is not a black hole and the observer is at the surface of the body, then ##r>2GM/c^2## and the terminal velocity must always be less than c when the object impacts the surface. If the object is a black hole there can be no stationary observer at ##r<=2GM/c^2## so the terminal velocity still never exceeds c.

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does relativity relate to terminal velocity?

Relativity plays a role in the concept of terminal velocity by affecting the perception of time for an object in motion. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for the object, making it seem like it is taking longer to reach terminal velocity.

3. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the highest speed that an object can reach while falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is balanced by the resistance of the fluid, resulting in a constant speed.

4. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

5. Can relativity affect terminal velocity in any other way?

Yes, relativity can also affect terminal velocity through the concept of length contraction. As an object moves at high speeds, it appears to become shorter in the direction of motion, which can change its drag coefficient and therefore its terminal velocity.